Need help choosing veggies to grow.

jose404June 16, 2012

I am very new to gardening and I wanted to know how late is to late to start my summer garden. If it isn't too late to start my garden which veggies grow best in the summer on my zone which is zone 9b. I also wanted to know how to get a continuos harvest of veggies instead of just one bulk harvest. Also one more thing, when summer is over will I need to pull out my plants to start my fall garden?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lgteacher(SCal)

From one 9b to another, it's not too late to start if you are starting with plants rather than seeds. Summer veggies are tomatoes, peppers, okra, green beans, melons, squash, and more. Yes, you will have to pull stuff to make room for fall vegetables. My problem last year was that the summer vegetables kept on producing, so I didn't want to pull them out. You could plant the fall vegetables, which should be planted in late summer between the summer veggies, but then you would cut off the summer veggies when they're done rather than pull them. If you pulled them, you would disturb the roots of the fall veggies.

For more information, check out your local Master Gardener website. They would have information on what grows in your particular location. If you don't have a local MG group, our website has info. uccemg.org

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Growing On?

Bookmark   June 16, 2012 at 12:15PM
More Discussions
2nd year of SFG: what to do?
Hi all, 2nd year of SFG. Last year was 3, 4x4 beds....
Anthony
Watery soil under raised bed
Hey all, I am new to raised beds, just started construction...
jazz1234
Skinny yam harvest
Hi everyone, If anyone can share some wisdom about...
ashita
Sub Irrigation Planter
I've read two ways to build these. One with gravel...
tedeboy
SFG drip system
As I ponder building my boxes and irrigation I am considering...
tedeboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™