Oh no! Not my Nandina!

i_luv_plantsMarch 19, 2010

I am hoping to get some help, (and maybe a bit of moral support lol) about my Nandina. I have 5 of them and they were so huge and beautiful, they provided me with some privacy and the berries were stunning. However, today, my landscaper went a bit scissor happy. All that's left of them are a few bare branches about 3 ft high. Does anyone know how long it will take for them to grow branches with leaves on them and fill out? Any advice on how to speed up the process? He said I'll thank him for it in a few months but it's hard for me to imagine with the way they look right now! Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

For best results, I wouldn't expect all the trunks to be cut to the same 3' high. But, whatever the visual results are of his pruning, the plant will resprout and should have plenty of foliage shortly. Your plant is not ruined, and you can always reprune a little to clean up the look if needed.

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 8:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
i_luv_plants

Ok thank you so much, I feel a lot better now! All of the trunks are the same height so maybe I will try to shape it a bit better, thank you for mentioning that to me!

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 8:56PM
More Discussions
groundcovers in SW Tennessee
I had lots of Lamium, creeping Thyme, mints in Illinois...
ryseryse_2004
Spigelia Marilandica??? Anybody?
I got an email from a friend of one of our MTPS-ers...
bigorangevol
New to Chattanooga TN
Moved here about a month ago and can't wait to garden....
poppiesandmarigolds
Williamson County Master Gardener Plant Sale and Garden Expo
Williamson County Master Gardner Association Invites...
bbhillarts
New Gardener Looking for Help :D
Hey guys, I'm just an average teenager looking to get...
GardenerLee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™