Sand art terrariums

rumbum(9)October 23, 2013

I am an avid gardener but new to terrariums. I am hoping you experts can help me. I want to make sure my creation is actually viable for a decent amount of time; maybe at least a couple years? I am trying to create terrariums with a base layer of colored sands arranged artistically. To keep the sand from moving or mixing I saturated that layer with water but am afraid of algae or molds ruining it.

Here are some ideas I've considered:

If I leave the sand dry then when I water the plants there will be distortion of the sand art colors. The colors are darker when wet. Dry sand is also more likely to shift and ruin.

A book I have suggest aquarium algecide in the sand layer. Pretty sure that would kill the plants. (?)

Another idea from a book is to pour hot wax on the sand to create a barrier. Haven't tried that yet. The only impact I can think of is whether this will be visually appealing in a glass vessel.

Like I said the other option is soaking the sand layer and have a gravel layer between the sand and the soil. I like the way this looks, it allows more room for error in watering, but I'm just worried about algae and mold.

I am attaching a picture of my sand art terrarium here for you to see what I'm talking about. Opinions and criticism are appreciated. If this looks like it is not sustainable what else would you suggest? Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teisa(6)

Wow, it sure is pretty! I tried layers of crushed shell and rock in a large jar. Then planted an Episcia in it. I put a layer of charcoal between the shell and dirt. I think it helped some. However I did get some algae when the sun warmed the glass. But I say give it a try on a small basis!

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 2:57AM
wazupwitdat(7)

Wow so beautiful! As far as i know which isn't much deactivated charcoal is supposed to help and I just read about clay pebbles to help absorb water. The wax idea sounds interesting. I see a lot of work must go into these so experimenting is probably not high on your list. Please post more as you go along this looks great!

Angela

Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 12:33PM
sir.cobalt(5)

Hydrogen peroxide kills algae, but it may also bleach your sand.

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 11:36PM
More Discussions
Open Container Terrariums?
Hi, I've got a terrarium that is completely open at...
RainboWoman
Schlumbergera
the tropical, epiphytic cactus...yet everyone grows...
lrn2gro
Where to purchase miniature plant seeds
I have would like to grow my own fairy garden plants...
Linda1684
Eggs?
Are these eggs of some sort?
sheryl19633911
Small ferns
I'm thinking about starting a terrarium in an old 10...
queenb
Sponsored Products
Hinton Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Modus Element 5 Drawer Chest in Chocolate Brown
Beyond Stores
Zaneen | One Pendant Light
$475.20 | YLighting
Progress Lighting P2967-84 Le Jardin Two-Light Espresso Bath Light With Weathere
Progress Lighting
Plymouth Blacksmith Four-Light Fluorescent Wall Mounted Bath Fixture with Sand B
$242.00 | Bellacor
Delambre Montauk Grey Mesh Table Lamp
$84.00 | Lamps Plus
Globo Table Lamp
Lightology
8-button Tufted Loft Sand Headboard
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™