mel's mix very loose, must stake the squash

engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)June 24, 2008

Well, yesterday - the little storm that came thru blew all of my yellow squash plants over onto their side, so I had to add stakes to keep them in place. Man, this mel's mix just isn't able to hold the large plants up at all. But, it sure does grow things well. As this whole sfg, and mel's mix is new to me - i'll be better prepared for next year. The stakes will go into place as soon as the small plants emerge from seed. I'm anticipating having to stake my okra also, as soon as it gets larger. Just wanted to share the info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ray_Scheel(z8b/SS31 E. TX)

Okra will root down a bit more so you may escape needing to stake them. For your squash, though I don't know how far over they fell, my squash usually straighten themselves out after getting pushed around.

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 9:57AM
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

Thanks for the reply Ray. One of the squash plants had the main stem get damaged a little bit - like a tear, or rip. But, it seems to be recovering nicely. I'm glad I added the stakes, that way no more damage can be done.

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 10:12AM
kristimama

For my squashes, I'm using upside down tomato cages (sharp points trimmed off the top) for support and so that I can use vertical space as much as possible.

I have also read on here that broccoli benefits from some support in SFG.

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 2:59PM

Kristi - the upside down tomato cage thing sounds like a good plan for the summer squash. I'll probably try that next year. Thanks. I also plan on growing broccoli later, that's good info, as well

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 4:00PM
snibb(Salt Lake City)

this is why you grow squash up a trellis that is made of 1/2" electrical conduit. I have grown all kinds of squash for 9 or 10 years and it has never blown over. Now, corn did-and there is a simple fix to prevent that...but, brocolli? Never had a problem with that before and I have grown that for many years as well....theres no question about it, this mix is definitley loose and friable...

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 7:25PM
sarahs_eden

My regards to your squash - glad to hear they'll be okay though. I sympathize... we had a huge rain the other day and it pelted my nicest tomato. It was staked, but apparently not enough - half the plant (the half with the blooms) completely snapped in half :( Lessons learned by a first year gardener...

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 9:40PM
kristimama

Hey Snibb, I'm doing most of my squash up a trellis, but my zuke and a yellow squash, they're inside a bed (not near a trellis) planted 1 per 9 squares, and I realized they'd still benefit from being up off the soil (for air circulation, pests, etc) and that I could interplant smaller things around the plant if I used the cage to get the leaves growing up.

I got the idea from a neighbor who, though he's never read any book on gardening or SFG (he's almost 70, from the "old country") he's got a stunning very intensive garden in a few 4x8 beds that gives him all his produce year round.

Anyway, hope your plants recover.
-k

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 3:00AM

Thanks everybody, this has been a very productive thread.

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 8:48AM
More Discussions
pine vs cedar for raised bed
I am building 2 4'x8' raised beds. Last year I built...
rersoap
Mighty Matos / Mighty Veggies and SFG
Does anyone here have experience with SFG and Mighty...
tafountain
My sister broke my corn tassel!
Long story short, I have a few corn plants growing...
Nila Arivoli
staining wood for raised beds.
I'm wanting to build a raised bed and first went out...
johnmcd348
Vining plants and selection for beginner.
So glad to have found this resource! I am starting...
GreenFox
Sponsored Products
Woodpecker Blend Suet Cakes - Set of 12
$12.99 | zulily
A Wild Time Wall Clock by David Scherer
$210.95 | Bellacor
American Drew Tribecca Sofa Table in Root Beer Color
Beyond Stores
Crayola Marker Maker - 74-7054
$14.01 | Hayneedle
Moller 71 Side Chair
Design Within Reach