Violas/Johnny Jump-ups

msbattMarch 4, 2011

Are these perennial here in TN? I have a lovely pot just FULL of these, and I wonder if I put them in the ground will they survive and flower again? Do I need to put them in shade, since we have such hot summers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
countrycarolyn(6-7nwTN)

Yes they are perennial here in tennessee, even in my zone 6b.

Plant them now!! Won't be long till they are blooming, I had my first buttercup bloom today. While my neighbors and others around town have been blooming for a week.

They reseed heavily if allowed, and they shoot the seeds everywhere. LOL, I brought a seed pod in that hadn't shot all of the seeds out and I kept hearing this noise. I thought I had a mouse. Well I went looking for this mouse. Come to find out it was the viola seeds popping out of the pod, lol. I put the pod and the seeds I could find in a paper sack, lol, yes this only increased the sound!!

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 10:05PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Once they get established in your yard, they can really start taking over. It's taken me a few years to weed them out of my beds.

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 11:07PM
countrycarolyn(6-7nwTN)

This is with me collecting my viola seed, dern boogers popped before I could collect them!! I have thinned my viola out quite a bit actually I would say I took out 75%. The green seedlings are strictly viola.

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 10:29AM
msbatt

Oh my. Well, where I plan on putting these, that will be just FINE! My front yard is very small, and in the shade of a huge old maple tree. Grass simply won't grow there, but I already have a number of violets. A solid carpet of violas would be okay. (*grin*)

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 3:48PM
More Discussions
Thin Tall Evergreen?
Hi all, I'm a new gardener living in TN. I'm looking...
linkjg
Amaryllis in Tennessee
Can Amaryllis stay in the ground near Nashville TN?...
ryseryse_2004
Please ID this plant grown in Nashville, TN
Hello folks!, I brought this plant back to LA (Cali)...
lizzieroux
New to Chattanooga TN
Moved here about a month ago and can't wait to garden....
poppiesandmarigolds
The early daffodils - ID?
Yesterday when driving around Blount County, I noticed...
RedBird_TN
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™