Berry garden?

countryprepper1June 2, 2013

Can I put raspberry,blackberry,blueberry and strawberry in the same bed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CaraRose

I don't think I'd try mixing the blueberries in. They like things very acidic.

I have blackberries and raspberries in the same bed. I've thought about adding some strawberries in, but they may be too shaded by the brambles.

Also, remember those brambles and strawberries will spread :)

Bookmark   June 2, 2013 at 7:14PM
lawanddisorder(6)

Yeah, blueberries require acidic soil. If you could segment the bed, I guess it would be okay, if you added acidifier to the blueberries and left the other soil alone.

Also, black raspberries can spread diseases to blackberries, if I recall correctly.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 1:21PM
veggievicki(7b)

brambles are very tolerant. Blueberries and strawberries are more persnickety. Here in Arkansas, all of the small berries are grown commercially. Blackberries you can stick in the dirt and they will grow like crazy. The only issue with them is keeping away from wild blackberries that cross pollinate and their shelf life is very short. Blueberries need amended soil (lots of peat and acid) and the MUST be irrigated. Strawberries aren't so picky about soil but also MUST be irrigated. Blueberries actually work pretty nice as ornamental shrubs so if you're short on garden bed you could plant them around in your yard. I have 40 blueberries, 120 or so blackberries and 60 raspberries. I plant early, midseason and late so to have a long as possible harvest. I highly recommend berries because you get a lot more for your effort than with produce.

Bookmark   June 9, 2013 at 3:19PM
More Discussions
Mighty Matos / Mighty Veggies and SFG
Does anyone here have experience with SFG and Mighty...
tafountain
Using Miracle Gro Potting Mix in a Square Foot Bed
Turns out that courtesy of Costco, I can fill my bed...
GardeningHeidi
pine vs cedar for raised bed
I am building 2 4'x8' raised beds. Last year I built...
rersoap
Mel's Mix versus 100% Compost
Hello all, I am starting some boxes for growing. I...
bsntech
Skinny yam harvest
Hi everyone, If anyone can share some wisdom about...
ashita
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™