tree stump w/ suckers

behaviorkelton(7-ish)March 4, 2009

I have a number of trees that were cut down. Unfortunately, the stumps are outrageously aggressive at sending new shoots up from the actual base/side of the stump.

By early summer, there are 5 foot shoots... cut 'em... then you are looking at 5 foot shoots again in a couple months.

Is there a trick to end that kind of action?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
madmouser(7 TN)

RoundUp and lots of it. I've used that successfuly to kill stumps. Pour it onto the cut end and keep soaking every few days. Soak the suckers.
It eventually gets the idea.

Bookmark   March 5, 2009 at 12:47AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Actually, Roundup poured on non-freshly-cut wood should not affect the stump. Roundup enters a plant's vascular system through actively growing foliage or freshly cut live green tissue.

I would use a paintbrush or sponge to apply concentrated (not the thick super-concentrated stuff, just the normal stuff that I think is like 18% glyphosate) Roundup or generic glyphosate to the fresh cuts after chopping off the suckers. It may take a few doses to kill the entire root system, but it will be effective. Don't let the sprouts get too big in between doses because the suckers will re-energize the roots as they grow.

Another way to tackle this problem is to remove (mow off or cut) the sprouts promptly each time they appear (maybe as often as once a week). This isn't as fast as the chemical solution, but all stumps will eventually give up if they are constantly being cut back. It takes reserved energy to grow new root sprouts and the stump/root system only has so much of this reserved energy before it will have to have foliage to replenish its supply.

Bookmark   March 5, 2009 at 9:00AM
rockguy(7a)

It depends too on how big the stumps are. You can rub off the new sprouts with your thumb when they're an inch long, again you'll have to do that once a week or so.
You can turn a metal bucket down over a stump if it will fit and pile dirt around the open end, blocking out the light. This will kill the stump eventually, but you have to leave it all summer. You could get a goat and leave them in the area with the stumps to nibble the new growth.

Bookmark   March 5, 2009 at 7:07PM
More Discussions
Spigelia Marilandica??? Anybody?
I got an email from a friend of one of our MTPS-ers...
bigorangevol
Composting Leaves
I have a huge pile of leaves, trying to speed up composting...
maternut
Japanese Maple Autumn Moon
I would like to know if anyone knows of a nursery in...
alan_ill
Help with Knockout Roses
I have lost 4 mature Knockout Roses, about 10 years...
neil64
New to Knoxville
I'm new to Knoxville TN and new to gardening in general....
freshvegetables
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™