And the little Prince has a name....

ann_tJuly 24, 2013

George Alexander Louis.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chase_gw

Well I got two out of three right!

Welcome Prince George.......but I'm betting they call him Alex!

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 1:32PM
ann_t

I hope you are right Sharon.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 1:33PM
duluthinbloomz4

That's nice; I like it. Was surfing to see where Alexander might have a naming convention for the royals, but one of QEII's middle names is Alexandra.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 1:37PM
lily316(z5PA)

I hope they call him Alex too. George sounds like an old man. I was voting for Henry.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 1:38PM
epiphyticlvr

I was voting for Henry.

Harry's name is Henry so it was not going to be that. The top names were George and James so I guess George won.

i hope they call him whatever they feel he should be called and what brings them pleasure.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 1:45PM
Pidge

I was betting on George because George VI is still a figure whose stature during WWII still resonates through the royal family.
I don't think George sounds like an old man, lol--it's a fine name. Maybe they'll call him Lou--NOT!

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 1:47PM
chase_gw

I can't imagine them calling him George but it is understandable that it be his "first" name in tribute to William's Great Grandfather and much beloved King.

Henry was not happening because that's Harry's real name.

If it was a girl Alexandra , out of respect for the Queen, was a front runner so Alexander makes sense.

it's the Louis I absolutely do not get....even though it is one of both Charles and Williams names

If they do call him George...I'm sure they will figure out a more modern "nick name"...please !

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 1:47PM
chase_gw

Well a few clicks and the Louis mystery is solved!

He is named for Lord Louis Mountbatten, Price Philips's Uncle and Price Charles Godfather, with whom Prince Charles was extremely close.

Mountbatten was murdered by the IRA in 1979. His death was very hard on Charles.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 1:59PM
Pidge

Chase, now that you mention that, I remember the event and how shocking it was. I also remember that it was vry painful for Charles. Nice gesture on William's part to honor his father.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:04PM
duluthinbloomz4

In the back of my head I'd somehow made the Louis Mountbatten connection.

In a way, I hope they call him George - kind of the way the British have with "eras" for reigns noted for historic events and achevements... Elizabethan, Jacobean, Victorian, Edwardian, Georgian, etc. But when they come to the throne, I understand they choose the name they wish to be known as.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:23PM
jillinnj

You don't like George? I have a soft spot for that name as it was my favorite uncle's name. And both my kids were named after him (and others), but they were named for him in Hebrew so I didn't have to be limited in their english names :-)

Alex is good too.

Yes, nice gesture from William to honor his dad.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:29PM
lily316(z5PA)

Louie would be a cute name. I forgot Harry was a Henry. All I can think of is Georgie Porgie... made the girls cry. Hope it's Alex.

Some of my boy cats have royal names..Louie, Henry, Simon?. Fitting because they think they're kings.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:30PM
Campanula UK Z8

roll on the republic - the royals are an anachronism....or a tourist fad at best.....oh yeah, and tax dodgers too (those takers and scroungers).

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 2:51PM
momj47(7A)

Good choices.

George VI was a good king, when the nation needed one, and a pretty decent father, too, I think. And he saw the beginning of the end of the Empire. Nice that he will be so honored.

Yes, the monarchy is an anachronism, it really makes no sense. It may be time to "disestablish" the monarchy, and the CoE, let them sink or swim on their own. Of course, trot them out for ceremonial occasions, they do that quite well.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 3:05PM
lily316(z5PA)

I think it was sweet to name him George because Elizabeth's father was a good king and was loved by the people. Louis was also a nice tribute by William to his great uncle. You can however use a name , like Harry/Henry, in successive generations. The Queen's mother was also Elizabeth.

If it weren't for a divorcee from Baltimore, all this would not be happening, and the line would have gone another direction.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 3:58PM
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

George Alexander Louis

Let's spiff it up a bit.

Giorgio Alessandro Luigi... or Giorgino during his childhood.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 4:10PM
duluthinbloomz4

I don't know about that, Lily. Assuming Edward VIII didn't abdicate or remained a bachelor in lieu of being allowed to marry Wallis or contracted into a morganatic marriage with her and remained childless, which was very likely in that pairing - Elizabeth would still be on the throne being the eldest daughter of George VI, brother of the abdicated Edward.

This hurts my brain... if Edward VIII hadn't abdicated but died childless as he did in 1972, Elizabeth's father - who died in 1952 - obviously would never have reigned and the succession would still have gone to Elizabeth - but by her coronation she'd have been a much older queen with 4 children.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 4:50PM
Pidge

I heard the other day that supporting the monarchy costs each person in the UK the equivalent of one American dollar--$1--but the money the UK earns exploiting them for all kinds of reasons runs into the billions.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 5:10PM
chase_gw

Would that our politicians worked has hard and diligently for the people as the Queen does. She pays taxes and brings in a bundle in tourist dollars.....

London without Royalty would be just another old city. The history, pageantry and mystique makes it very special and very different.

Edited because spell check is not always your friend.

This post was edited by chase on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 17:59

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 5:21PM
Pidge

I agree, chase--last time I was in London I went to the Tower for the first time and seeing the crown jewels and recalling when I saw them on her (on TV--I was never in her presence) and then riding the London Eye and looking over parliament--loved every minute. London would still be a remarkable city but the royal family adds a kind of excitement that I greatly enjoy.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 5:46PM
chase_gw

Yes the jewels and the Places are so amazing......but HRH is house poor...not like she can sell any of it! LOL

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 5:56PM
chisue

Hard to imagine "James" -- with the Scots rebelling again and all. lol

Are William and Harry really tall, or do they just look tall when posed with (shorter) members of the family?

Buckingham Palace would make a great hotel -- could merge with the Goring. It's not a far commute from the prettier Hampton Court. The queen could get another yacht!

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 12:48PM
ann_t

They are tall. William is apparently 6' 3" and Harry, just slightly shorter. Kate is 5' 10".

Ann

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 1:08PM
chisue

Thanks, Ann. That's not AS tall as I'd thought from the family photos. Our DS is six feet, as is our DIL. Their kids are set to tower over their parents. (I think Dutch men are supposed to be the world's tallest.)

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 12:29PM
pnbrown

Meanwhile, I guess every other baby born the other day will remain nameless....probably be real short too, and not so English either, most of 'em.

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 3:32PM
kacee2002

Mitt Romney announced a 22 grandchild born the very same day. No announcement of the name of the newborn boy. He does have one named Winston though.

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 4:14PM
duluthinbloomz4

And the British press (The Daily Mail anyway) prattles on with the likes of this:

"But for the mothers watching around the world as the Duchess of Cambridge walked out on to the steps of the Lindo Wing yesterday, the real delight was her âÂÂmummy tummyâÂÂ.

That neat bump was the only thing which gave away the fact Kate had given birth to an 8lb 6oz boy just a day earlier.

And the glowing duchess clearly felt no need to hide it, a decision praised immediately by mothersâ groups.

Netmums founder Siobhan Freegard said the duchess had dispelled the âÂÂmyth that all mothers should be perfect postpartumâÂÂ.

âÂÂIn a couple of minutes on the steps of the Lindo Wing Kate has done more for new mumsâ self-esteem than any other role model,â she said."

Little George is cute, has handsome parents, has a nice name and will be richer than Croesus by tomorrow which is maybe 70+ years before he'll be king.

I don't need someone to hold my head as I barf. :-)

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 4:19PM
kacee2002

When I had my second child I was determined to get immediately back into my pre-baby jeans. I did...with much effort and arrived home with a perfect imprint of the zipper in my post baby tummy. Took those suckers off and put pre baby sweats on as soon as I could! Ahhhh.....

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 4:58PM
sylviatexas1

I'm afraid that, had Edward VIII not abdicated, everybody in the United Kingdom would be speaking German.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 2:00PM
duluthinbloomz4

Being as how Elizabeth was destined to be Edward VIII's heir, I don't think so. :-) Although English is a West Germanic language, so, in effect...

Trivia warning... Before 1917 and the Windsor rename, the line was Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. Since Britain had been at war with Germany since 1914, anything German had a bad connotation.

Queen Victoria's grandson, King George V, officially declared that "all descendents in the male line of Queen Victoria, who are subjects of these realms, other than female descendents who marry or who have married, shall bear the name Windsor."

This post was edited by duluthinbloomz4 on Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 15:01

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 2:54PM
chase_gw

I think Sylvia's remarks are based on the fact that Edward was a known Nazi supporter and would likely have approached WW2 in a different manner than George did....

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 3:27PM
duluthinbloomz4

You're very likely right there - both Sylvia and chase.

Wallis did want to be queen at any price and the Germans would have exacted the unthinkable in return for their assistance in that matter.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 3:45PM
sable_ca(z9CA)

Let's not forget that it's the Prime Minister and his cabinet and Parliament who run Great Britain, not the monarchy. Had Edward been king and had he displayed his pro-Nazi feelings as the war broke out, he and his grasping wife may have ended up in the Tower.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
Presidential hopefuls SUPPORT Indiana "religious freedom" law
GOP presidential candidates voice support for controversial...
momj47
Curiouser and Curiouser
Iran Case Is So Secret It Can't Go On Some things are...
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
Supremes Uphold Voter ID Law
The Supreme Court let stand a 7th Circuit Court ruling...
Christopher_H
Anyone remember this?
I just love this show. Just thought about it again...
asleep_in_the_garden
Sponsored Products
PlateBowlCup Oval Serving Plate by Alessi
$68.00 | Lumens
Oil-Rubbed Bronze Swivel-Spout Four-Hole Kitchen Faucet and Brass Sprayer
Overstock.com
Halo 3" White Finish and Baffle Adjustable Recessed Trim
$59.90 | Lamps Plus
Cors Wall Sconce
Lightology
O-Link Runner 2' x 8' - BLACK
$159.00 | Horchow