Japanese beetles

mommato2bubbasJune 23, 2010

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, this is my 2nd year SFGing, and the 2nd year that Japanese beetles keep eating my basil plants. Does anyone else have this problem, if so, what do you do to keep them from devouring all the basil. I have tried the traps and even put some dust stuff the feed-n-seed told me to use. But I would like to try to avoid chemicals. I have 11 plants and they are mowing them down.

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeremyjs

step one: pick the japanese beetles off anytime you see them and squish them or throw them in a soapy water bucket. repeat until crazy

step two: Yell and curse at them then run around like a madman/woman cursing more and pulling out your hair.

step three: Give up and hope they don't eat the plants to the ground so there is still enough for you or spray them with chemicals so you no longer want to eat it either, but hopefully kill as many of the SOB's as possible in the process.

Repeat as necessary.

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 2:10PM
jeremyjs

Oh one more thing for some reason I'm not having hardly any problems with japanese beetles this year. I think it's the starlings. They're always in my yard picking things out of the grass and garden. I can't say 100% because the bug off as soon as they see me, but it looks like japanese beetles they're eating......along with doing a number on my zucchini, but I'm fine with that so long as they are eating the beetles.

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 4:54PM
mommato2bubbas

So far, I think I am following the 3 step plan to a tee. :o)
Think I might try some kind of netting??

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 5:31PM
mustard_seeds(4 -Onalaska Wisconsin)

I would think netting would keep birds off, but would not block too many beetles

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 11:32AM
scunningham(6)

Try a Japenese Beetle trap. I set one out this year and it is working well. I see very few beetles on my plants and my trap is filling up. I see them for sale almost everywhere and you don't have too spray your plants with chems.

Scott

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 9:46AM
mommato2bubbas

bought at lowe's today, window screening in a roll. Just laid in over top of the basil plants (4x4 box). Working great. Small enough holes to keep the beetles from eating but lets the water/sun in. It is very lightweight too.

Thanks for the trap idea, tried them last year, did not have much success.

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
Raised kidney shaped garden
I have a kidney shaped raised garden that I have planted...
charlieboring
Lateral space for dripline irrigation in square foot garden?
Hello! I'm pretty new to square foot gardening and...
poppenschmaltz
Using Miracle Gro Potting Mix in a Square Foot Bed
Turns out that courtesy of Costco, I can fill my bed...
GardeningHeidi
Weed Barrier
I was excited to find this forum. I started dabbling...
mtnrunner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™