Emergency Propagation Help!

tn_veggie_gardner(7)March 18, 2010

I found the most beautiful flowers today on the back way home from work, on a side road in the middle of nowhere! I did not have any gardening tools with me. =( I tried my best to dig with my hands, but I don't think I got the roots, or enough at all of the flower bottoms. Please let me know, if there's any way at all I can propagate these cuttings! =) I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I have no idea what kind of flower this is...lol.

Bottoms of most only go this far...about 2-3 inches of white each:

Thanks! - Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Looks like common everyday ordinary daffodils to me. You'll need to harvest the bulbs to grow them. They're normally planted in the fall. Stick your "cut" flowers in water and enjoy them while you can.

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 12:42AM
columbiastock(Z7)

Agree with Brandon, you will have to wait until fall to plant the bulbs. (My neighbor just ask me the same question yesterday.) They come in different sizes and colors. Years ago (say 50 years) yellow was all you could find. You should check out the variety of spring bulbs available, such as tulips, hyacinth, crocos, etc. But the daffodils will stay nice in water and if you can find different colored branches of spring blooming shrubs or trees to cut, makes for a beautiful bouquet.

Wanda

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 11:55AM
rockguy(7a)

Some varieties of daffs will make seed pods. These are green swellings right where the flower was, after a few weeks. You will need to watch them and don't pick until the seeds turn dark. At any rate the seeds (when they do make) will take a couple years to bloom so you are better off to buy or dig the bulbs in fall.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 10:04PM
msbatt

Just come to the MTPS and trade with me---I should have plenty of daffodils!

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 6:07PM
tn_veggie_gardner(7)

ok. =) will do...the ones pictured above are long gone anyways.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 7:12PM
More Discussions
Pollinator habitat
I live in Virginia, but I am installing a pollinator...
Nell
Help with Knockout Roses
I have lost 4 mature Knockout Roses, about 10 years...
neil64
questions from new TN gardener
I'm not a new gardener but new Z7, southwest TN. Will...
ryseryse_2004
New to Chattanooga TN
Moved here about a month ago and can't wait to garden....
poppiesandmarigolds
**** Spring 2015 East Tennessee Plant Swap ****
The Spring 2015 East Tennessee Plant Swap will be held...
brandon7 TN_zone
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™