chiggers in the garden

lowraineJune 27, 2009

Does anyone else close enough to the woods to have chiggers? I didn't consider them, knew they were in the outer edge of the yard, but never thought they would become part of my garden. I have to spray down before entering and sometimes that isn't enough. I am learning to live with the few who get past the spray. Anyone else have this problem and if so any help out there?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stephanieftx

Applying beneficial nematodes every 6 weeks or so will drastically cut down on your chiggers, fleas, ticks, and other soil borne pests (like roaches, cut worms, grubs, etc).

Now, if I could just find something to eliminate the mosquitos!!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Haphazard Gardener

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 9:29PM
angela12345(7b NC Mixed-Humid)

Question about beneficial nematodes ... I also have marigolds planted throughout the garden and know these are good for nematode suppression. If I apply beneficial nematodes, will the marigolds also suppress the beneficials ?

Let me know if you find anything to control mosquitoes. They seem to love hanging out around my garden and attack as soon as I step foot towards that direction !

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 8:45AM
walkerjks

"Now, if I could just find something to eliminate the mosquitos!!"
Bats? I really don't know the situation in DFW, but building a bat house for a local species of bat could quickly deal with your mosquito problem.

Along with all the normal "don't leave standing water for mosquito larva" methods.

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 10:03AM
stephanieftx

Marigolds deter bad nematodes, not good ones. The beneficial nematodes will be good for all your soil and plants. The marigolds won't bother the beneficials.

Stephanie

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 11:51AM
lowraine

What are menatodes? And how do I get them?

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 1:06PM
gabbygardner

Ok-lowraine, I promise I am only teasing a little;) But, when you transposed the "m" and "n" on nematodes, my mind made a mental picture of an angry toad-very cute.

I am actually just learning about them myself, but I found a ton of info on a google search about the little devils.

Thanks for letting me tease - a little;)

g

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 4:35PM
lowraine

Never too old to learn are we? I guess it is time for me to google as well. I watered my garden and tied my cabbage and yes I have three new chiggers (at last count). Ain't life fun.

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 10:16PM
lowraine

gabby, the count came in at nine.

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 5:59PM
gabbygardner

Lowraine, I am feeling for ya!! Those chiggers sound downright evil!! Biting little buggers!! I hope you can get rid of them. Mite larvae right, I looked them up. I can't believe how yucky they are.

Sounds like drowning them might be the only way. The sight I saw said to drown them in soapy water a couple times a week, and they may not come back. Worth a try I guess.

Good Luck!!

g

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 2:30PM
stephanieftx

I've found that Tea Tree Oil is the answer for mosquito bites, ant bites, and chigger bites. Just dab it on with a q-tip and the itchiness and stinging are gone in a few minutes. The raised welt goes away soon after, too. You can find it in the vitamins/supplement section of the store.

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 9:12PM
lowraine

Thanks for the suggestions, green tea oil and soapy water. I will try both.

Bookmark   July 2, 2009 at 1:07PM
lowraine

I am ready to attack the chiggers with soapy water. Can someone give me a formula for a gallon sprayer and soap? Also, do I spray the top as well as the underside of the plants. I know for a fact that they live on the edging of the garden sections.

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 4:28PM
gabbygardner

Hey Lowraine: I found a great list of natural recipes here on GW. The link is below.

Here is another place to try: it looked very interesting.
http://www.pallasathenesoap.com/puresoap/insect.pdf

Good Luck!!

g

Here is a link that might be useful: GW organic recipes for insecticides and fungicides

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 9:51AM
lowraine

Thanks

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Vining plants and selection for beginner.
So glad to have found this resource! I am starting...
GreenFox
Cinder block raised bed & drainage
Hi, I am new to this forum and gardening so please...
Alex Rumjancevs
Onion spacing- 16/sq ft vs. Dixondale recommendation
Dixondale farms suggests 4" between onions, and...
mmqchdygg
Mighty Matos / Mighty Veggies and SFG
Does anyone here have experience with SFG and Mighty...
tafountain
Vermiculite Source List - Throughout USA
I had a hard time finding vermiculite, so I have compiled...
angela12345
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™