Otto & Schip Laurel?

cindylouhoo(6MidTN)March 23, 2010

I'm looking to add some shrubs to the front of my house which is mostly shaded throughout the day. I took a photo of our house to a local nursery, and they suggested the Schip Laurel for height & the Otto Lukyen for something shorter. I like that they are evergreen and have some flowers. Seems like there are not many options for shrubs for shaded areas. Any input on these would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Cindy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dvtown(6b)

You could try pieris which does well in shade. I like both the choices they gave you though. I was thinking of replacing our hollies with a couple Schips.

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 10:09PM
drmorbeus

Otto and Schip I have planted in shade and part shade. They take a while to get established but then seem to do OK. They do not respond to fertilizer all that much. Most all their annual growth is in May and June. Hard pruning can stop them in their tracks so be careful.

I have also had them get shot hole disease but regular applications of Mancozeb will control it. Deer also leave them alone.

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 4:25PM
connietn

You're right, evergreens for shade are hard to come by. I think those are good choices.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 7:26AM
More Discussions
Japanese Beetle traps & Milky Spore?
I think I read a post on one of the rose forums where...
krikit
New to Knoxville
I'm new to Knoxville TN and new to gardening in general....
freshvegetables
Grading/Leveling recommendations
We're looking to grade and landscape our backyard,...
elsten
Williamson County Master Gardener Plant Sale and Garden Expo
Williamson County Master Gardner Association Invites...
bbhillarts
Growing Grapes in Tennessee
In hopes of getting some conversation going in our...
brandon7 TN_zone
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™