Need advice for desert terrarium lighting requirements

proper_gait(8b)December 7, 2011

I am interested in creating a desert terrarium for copiapoa species cactus.I am wondering what an adequate light system would be to prevent etoliation. How many lights might I need? Should I use a fan to keep the heat down? I have been a succulent collector for many years. Is this a bad/good idea? I find it gets too humid in my area for many cactus species and was hoping to create an indoor garden for some of my favorites that have posed problems for me outdoors. Any links or ideas appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
proper_gait(8b)

Looks like one shouldn't do it. But I would love to know if somebody has proven this article wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Not build a cactus terrarium

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 3:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paul_(z5 MI)

Unfortunately, it really isn't a very good idea ... or it might be better to say a really DIFFICULT idea to make work. Quite a bummer too, IMO. However, by all means, feel free to experiment. I honestly would love to see someone do this successfully (long term) in some type of simple/easy fashion.

The issue you mentioned with regards to it being too humid outside in your area is one of the biggest problems by far in a terr. setting. By their nature of being enclosed, humidity tends to accumulate or remain at higher levels than outside the tank.

Lighting is the other "gi-normous" problem. Providing the necessary light intensity often results in overheated plants and basically "cooks" them. If you do try this and have some of the really strong light lovers (definitely not something I would recommend, but ....), then plan on some 200W equivalent cfls. This would be your best bet for higher light intensity with less heat. Otherwise, if you try this out, go with any succulents you have that don't require super strong light.

If you try a desert terr, plan on using a fan or two to prevent the air from becoming stagnant.

Bookmark   December 7, 2011 at 10:59PM
More Discussions
Irish Moss help
I recently bought irish moss seeds, and I was wondering,...
BalanceA
moss landscapes under glass
Hi, Although I'm a beginner at bonsai I have been growing...
engwerda
My Miniature Terrascape
I started this Terrascape some time back but there...
keithgh
Terrarium Books?
Hi, I want to start making terrariums, and I was wondering...
JordyS
Volunteer
I had this little sprout volunteer in another pot....
biinaboo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™