experimenting withthe idea of a terrarium.

lorieuDecember 5, 2007

i am moving to CO from TN and am thinking about getting a terrarium for my orchids. where can i get a good terrarium, what is the best way to plant plants in a terrarium? it looks like people are talking about using old aquariums as terrariums. how does that work? where does the drainage exit if using this? any tips on what i should do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy(6)

There doesn't have to be drainage in an aquarium (except for pebbly substrate) as long as the humidity is high (generally from having a lot of plants inside), but in CO, it's SO dry, you might have to water a bit more often than usual, just use less water (so it doesn't pool in the bottom). But I'd also be concerned about lack of air circ. and bugs in such an environment - orchids demand lots of good ventilation. I might even call orchid societies in CO to see how they deal with the environment there - it might be better to have them out of the terr. but in an other well humidified room.

Bookmark   December 6, 2007 at 5:14AM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

I had a resident for a few days who kept orchids (I'm an RA in CO) she used a humidity tray, like a tray filled with sharp cut gravel and placed the orchids on top, it seemed to work well although I've no idea what kinds she was keeping.

Bookmark   December 6, 2007 at 10:45AM
scurto

Air circulation is a must for any orchids. Think how they grow in the wild with the wind blowing on them.My orchids in the greenhouse have fans for air circulation.

Bookmark   December 6, 2007 at 11:23PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
What type of orchids do you want to grow?? That's sort of like saying you want to grow plants lol Terrests of Epis?? There are many kinds that will love a terrarium atmosphere will others will croak overnight .lol
Aquariums can and do work but they have a lot of faults again depending on what you want to grow .
There are some great sites on setups for different types of orchids. if interested. gary

Bookmark   December 8, 2007 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
Terrarium Heating Mat
I'm new to the terrarium world and would like to start...
bradycarnahan
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this hobby but very into it and excited...
momo034
Browning fern in powder at bottom of terrarium?
Hi guys, The first week (of 3 months of hainvg the...
tiffanylam38
Fungus gnats
Hey everyone, I recently turned a 10 gal aquarium into...
lrn2gro
Volunteer
I had this little sprout volunteer in another pot....
biinaboo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™