Varieties for Cooking and Canning

johnflaDecember 21, 2006

I am new to heirlooms and have never posted to a forum before. I hope I observe all the proper etiquette.

I have 16 plants going this fall, half hybrids from Home Depot and half heirlooms from Laurel in California. This has worked out pretty well and I've learned a good bit. For the spring, I want to expand to 30 or so plants, with an emphasis on varieties for cooking and canning. I hope the members can give me some advice based on their experiences.

Right now my list includes Amish Paste, Bisignano #2, Costoluto Genovese, Santa Clara Canner, San Marzano Redorta,Super Marmande, and Dad's Barber Paste.

If I'm going to grow from seed I will need to plant in January to be able to get the seedlings out by mid-March at the latest. That means I need to be ordering the seed soon to get the most out of our spring growing season which generally ends in late June or early July.

Any thoughts on what's good and what's overrated will be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I'm not familiar with Dad's Barber Paste, but otherwise it looks like a good list.

I'm guessing by now you have probably (hopefully) found the On Topic Discussion side of the Tomato Forum.

Sue

Bookmark   January 4, 2007 at 1:56AM
More Discussions
Has Anybody Grown This Tomato ?
I was in HD looking for Big Beef seeds. But they did...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Anyone Growing Dwarf Tomatoes?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
Better Boy vs Brandy Boy
The fruit test - - - we planted equal quantity of both...
hudson___wy
Southern Belle Tomato
I am searching for history on the Southerne Belle tomato....
AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
Your Favorite Black / brown Tomatoes
Per title, Mine are as follows: ==CHEROKEE PURPLE (repeat) ==...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™