Best Plants for Terrarium?

moonstruckeliseDecember 17, 2008

I just purchased a vintage globe terrarium on a pedestal (it's plastic and is about 24-30" in diameter). I've never used a terrarium before and I was wondering what plants are both attractive and grow well in terrariums. I don't want to put a lot in there, maybe just two or three small plants and then some other decorative things. I have a full wall of windows to put it by, so it should get plenty of light, it has a small opening at the top that can be closed, and it can come apart into two halves so that I can put it outside uncovered if needed. Also, it has a crack running from the bottom middle to just the bottom half of the globe, will this cause me any problems?

I would appreciate any and all suggestions, thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jmcat(5)

English Ivy is a good plant, though it may need trimming a couple times per year. Any of the Micro-mini Sinningias also do well in terrariums if you want a 2-3 inch diameter plant. Fittonia species are another good plant, as are Polka-dot Plants.
You probably do want to seal that crack somehow.
-Jmcat

Bookmark   December 24, 2008 at 1:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paul_(z5 MI)

A # of possibilities. I'd suggest perusing the FAQ as well as searching this forum. :)

Bookmark   January 11, 2009 at 3:45PM
More Discussions
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
overwintering maidenhair fern in cloche
In the late fall I dug up and potted my Maidenhair...
ladycave
My Miniature Terrascape
I started this Terrascape some time back but there...
keithgh
Starting a Terrascape 5ft now.
I have just commenced a 5ft Terrascape, its been in...
keithgh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™