Spacing Questions

ezzirah011(7a)June 17, 2012

I was curious, I was reading Mel's book, and he recommends a spacing of 9 bush bean plants per square feet. I cannot see how that would work and the plants still be productive and produce all that they can. Same with onions, an onion per inch is way small. I planted onion sets every three inches and found that spacing to be adequate.

My question is this...does everyone follow the spacing recommendations? If so, how does things turn out?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gumby_ct(CT it says Z5)

IF this is your 1st time, give it a try you may be surprised.

Generally speaking, I think you can go by the label spacing for between plants. Also trellis so you can grow up.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 5:39PM
curt_grow

I have used the 9 plant spacing for bush beans and feel that it is the beast spacing. While the beans themselves do not seem to reach optimum yield, the group yield is very good and weed control is great.

curt

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 2:40PM
angela12345(7b NC Mixed-Humid)

I also follow the SFG spacing recommendations for the most part. If the bush beans seed packet says to plant with 4" spacing between the plants, then that is 9 per square. 12"/4" = 3 = which would be planted 3 rows of 3 per square foot. I trellis as much as I can ... tomatoes, melons, cucumber, peas, pole beans, and easily follow the guidelines for spacing on the trellised items.

Onions I did not think are every inch ? That would be 144 per square. Onions I thought were 16 per square, which is 3" spacing; or 36 per square for scallions, which is 2" spacing.

Why this works is the mix of soil in the garden. You are using 1/3 compost from 5 different types (cow, chicken, mushroom, worm, and composted lawn clippings, for example) which will be rich in a variety of nutrients. You are using 1/3 vermiculite which retains water and keeps the soil moist. You are using 1/3 peat moss which adds bulk and provides proper drainage.

Bookmark   June 19, 2012 at 7:33PM
thegreatcob

ezzirah011 looks like some one was not reading book correctly.
angela12345 numbers are correct.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
Lateral space for dripline irrigation in square foot garden?
Hello! I'm pretty new to square foot gardening and...
poppenschmaltz
What should I use to fill my raised beds?
I'm going to be making some raised beds in my backyard...
hazeldazel
Sub Irrigation Planter
I've read two ways to build these. One with gravel...
tedeboy
I'd like to try SFG like this....(see pic)
I'd like to try SFG in a 55 gallon drum like the one...
farmless_barn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™