Summer Poinsettia

geneo74April 24, 2009

Last year wifey had some seeds she had gotten from a friend and planted a few directly in the flower garden. We loved them, even brought some into the house and they lasted for a long time. We saved seeds from our garden ones as they dried up last fall. Planted a few seeds in my winter seeding, not many because they didn't appear too adaptable to winter growing to me. Seeded the rest of them in my usual early spring seeding trays for later plantings. To this date none have come up anywhere. If someone on this board have been seeding summer poinsettia's maybe you could give me a few pointers on what I'm doing wrong. Not an expert, but as an old farm boy usually get my seeding done without problems.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

First thing to do is to determine what plant you really have. Summer poinsettia is commonly used to describe Euphorbia cyathophora, Euphorbia heterophylla, Amaranthus tricolor, a cultivar of Hibiscus moscheutos, and who knows what else.

Also, are your "spring seedling trays" inside or ourside? How long ago did you plant the seeds?

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 9:58AM
terry7321(z8 SC)

Hmmmm, I've grown the Amaranthus tricolor Perfecta, and it has easily self-sown wherever it was planted. I started the originals in seed trays a few years ago, and I've had reliable returns for the past three years, albeit 'here and there'. Maybe you have something other than the Amaranthus....

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 11:10AM
geneo74

Based upon what I've seen on the Internet I do believe its an Amaranthus. Your question as to where my seed tray is may be the problem.Its inside beside a southern window. Has been a pretty cool spring. Was planted two weeks ago. As soon as I transplant a few other seeds thinking about kicking it outside since its warmed up the last few days. Thanks for your interest.

Bookmark   April 25, 2009 at 6:11PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

At least according to some sources, the seeds are light dependent (can't remember the word for that), so should be surface sown or only very lightly covered and placed in a good source of light. Soil temperature should be around 70 degrees F or better for best results. Also, a slight drop in night-time temperatures is supposed to help.

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 10:12AM
amazindirt(7A mid-TN)

If it's one of the amaranths, they may just not be up quite yet. Mine has always been late to appear in the spring. Don't give up yet!

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 7:28PM
geneo74

Thank you folk, saw a couple of them sneaking up today.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 7:00AM
geneo74

A summer poinsettia recap. I kicked my seed tray out into the bright sun. See a few more plants sneaking up. Now, remember I said I had seeded a few in my winter plantings. Since nothing ever came up (not to my surprise) I had thrown the container over beside my spa. Happened to walk by the container today and it was green, all about inch high, YaÂhoo.

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 12:55PM
linda244

Does anyone have any Summer Poinsettia seedlings for postage?....Thanks....Linda

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
Evergreen trees with large leaves
I'm seeing them all around and wonder what they are?...
ryseryse_2004
Pollinator habitat
I live in Virginia, but I am installing a pollinator...
Nell
Spigelia Marilandica??? Anybody?
I got an email from a friend of one of our MTPS-ers...
bigorangevol
Which Fruit Trees to plant?
I just purchased 3 acres and a small house. The entire...
hopin4rain
plants to give away.
I live in Ringgold, GA near Chattanooga. I have some...
mrlynn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™