Anyone else growing kohlrabi?

sqftsteveJune 24, 2009

Best. Vegetable. Ever.

I can't wait to sink my teeth into these guys. Cubed, boiled until tender, served with a little butter as a side dish.

The ones I find locally are usually large and woody, but these should be perfect. Mmmmmmm, life is good.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/user/sqftsteve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
walkerjks

I grow a few (1 sq.ft.). It's a lovely vegetable raw, but we just don't need all that many of them. If we get 4 to 6 good ones a season, we're happy.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 11:31PM
cha_cha(9)

I love kohlrabi! Here in Tucson it's a winter crop so I won't have any for a while. It's quite yummy in stir fries or sauteed onions, broccoli and other veggies then tossed with pasta and cream sauce. MMMMMMMMM

Here is a link that might be useful: Rockin' the Garden

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 11:59PM
gardener_mary(6 MA)

I just bought a packet of 'Early White Vienna' seed for 10 cents so I thought I would give them a try this fall. I have never grown them before. Can you give me some advise? Do you eat the greens too, or just the bulb? The greens look very tasty. Your post and pictures make me look forward to them all the more.

Good gardening, Mary

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 9:39PM
hellbender(6)

I grow kohlrabi every year. I like them raw with a little salt. They taste like a sweet cabbage core and are crunchy (which I like). They like moist, rich soil. They are better if grown quickly so keep them well fed and watered.

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 7:22AM
sqftsteve

Mary,

This is the first time we've grown them, so I can't give much advice on that part, except to suggest that you harvest them early. Just how early, I don't know, but when they get too big they start getting "woody" in consistency.

As for eating them, it seems that a lot of people like to eat them raw, which I don't really care for. When you cook them, they seem to take on a different mild flavor.

The way we prepare them is to dice them into little cubes (1/4" to 1/2", it's not critical) and boil them in water until they are soft and no longer crunchy (check with a fork). They'll turn a bit translucent. Then just drain, add a bit of pepper and salt, and serve as a side dish. We normally have them alongside meat, such as a nice sauerbraten. Cover them with some of the gravy and enjoy.

If you've never tried them cooked, give it a shot, it takes almost zero effort to prepare. They're absolutely heavenly.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.youtube.com/user/sqftsteve

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 1:58PM
gardener_mary(6 MA)

Thanks for all the info. I'm looking forward to trying them.

Mary

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 12:14PM
tcstoehr

I grew one of the "giant" kohlrabis this year. Kossack I think was the variety. They grew to 6 inches in diameter before I started harvesting. I just cut them into snack sized slices and take them to work. Very crisp and tasty. Lots of fun to crunch on.

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 1:38PM
bryanb1(7)

I grow it every year, at least 3 squares. Generally have very good success. I also like it raw with a little salt. The leaves can also be boiled as greens.

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
Using Miracle Gro Potting Mix in a Square Foot Bed
Turns out that courtesy of Costco, I can fill my bed...
GardeningHeidi
What should I use to fill my raised beds?
I'm going to be making some raised beds in my backyard...
hazeldazel
I'd like to try SFG like this....(see pic)
I'd like to try SFG in a 55 gallon drum like the one...
farmless_barn
Garlic crop rotating?
I started a bed 4'x6' last full of garlic. I was a...
disneynut1977
Lateral space for dripline irrigation in square foot garden?
Hello! I'm pretty new to square foot gardening and...
poppenschmaltz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™