What do you use to cover plants to deter birds?

hallandalegal(Hallandale FL)February 28, 2009

Hi, we have a lot of cherry tomato plants started and some are getting blooms. When the tomatoes start to form, should we tie tulle over the plants? Most are in containers. We have a large number of aggressive type birds, grackels, and others. We have the fake owls, snakes, lines of hanging shiny clattering things and the CDs. And Tom, our homemade scarecrow guy.

I don't want to use chicken wire because birds can get caught in it and I love birds, just don't want them getting our tomatoes.

For the worms, I use fine UN-enriched cornmeal. I found it at a Latin market, it's from Haiti. The tomato worms eat the cornmeal, swell up and die. So we never see any worms, just plenty of birds. We made a scarecrow also and he seems to help. It is necessary to move all the fake owls, fake snakes and the scarecrow once a day to keep fooling the birds. We ordered the six foot long inflatable snakes from the Ace hardware internet site, because they do not sell them in their stores, only via the net. Those are due today in the mail. But when the tomatoes start to appear, what do you advise we use as a cover? Is tulle working or what do you recommend, please? THANK YOU very much for your advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jwr6404(8B Wa)

The best deterrant I have ever used is a radio. We have 6 Asian pear trees and when it's close to harvest time the birds start coming. Nothing more obnoxious than a cheap radio with the volume turned up and tuned to a RAP Station. If you tune it slightly off station you can get some static which actually improves the sound. Since we started using the radio for the trees and garden we share very little fruit with the critters. By the way the radio doesn't need to be to loud unless your angry at a neighbor.
Jim

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 8:58PM
More Discussions
Help Pls! Tomato branches falling off
Hi all - A few weeks ago I started to notice a marginal...
jhamoud
Help Identify my Uncle's Tomato pest
Hi all, I'm writing in behalf of my uncle who is not...
greengorilla2
Wilting Tomato Plant
I am growing several types of heirloom tomato plants...
awestruck
black spots on tomatoes
HI, As my wife and I are sitting hear having a cup...
dennyida
Indoor tomatoes in trouble, help iD
Hi guys! Could you please tell me what you think the...
Mikhail Evtushenko
Sponsored Products
ViaVolt Garden Tools 15 in. 150-Watt White Greenhouse Plant Grow Light System
Home Depot
Cardinal Nature Hook
Signature Hardware
Track Circular Dining Table in Black
$159.00 | LexMod
Carlisle Etagere in Black Finish, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
&'Costa | Bambu L157 Linear Wall Light
YLighting