Confession of a Convert ....

cozyJune 21, 2008

Well, I did not "see" it as working ( come on, 9 green beans per sq ft?) but you folks showed so many pretty gardens that I had to try it.

I started out with one little bed ( while playing with the potato bins) and it has definitely proven itself to me ... so here I go ;)

Just wanted to say Thanks! as the expansion and amazement continues.

The drought hangs on here ( listed as Extreme); yet I am on my way to eat my second mess of Contender green beans that I would not have had except for this method ( the field planted ones are just starting to bloom and not but 4-6 inches tall).

Just wanted to say Thanks! and keep the pictures a flowing!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lab12(5)

Your beds look so nice! Your more established bed looks incredible! I love the new beds with all the little sprouts!

Bookmark   June 21, 2008 at 11:22PM
sinfonian(U8b A2 S5 SeaWA)

Thanks for sharing Cozy. I see you're slowly converting your field into SFG. That's a bit more space than any small town would need under the SFG system, but I think you'll be very happy with the beds you've got now. They look amazing!

And please share how your potatoes turned out. I just added the second to last board to mine and added 10 cubic feet of Mel's Mix to the bins, hehe and I should add more. Look at my Yukon Golds...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure!

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 1:38AM
cozy

Thanks lab12. I've had the book for several years but didn't really think it possible. You can see in the second pic ( 5/25) that I hadn't even cut the mason twine spool off -> still skeptical but getting more intrigued. By the time that the beans started blooming, I was in love!

Sinfonian, your taters look Fantastic! We had 7-10 days of dangling around 100 and I thought mine were done but lately we have had a spell of mid-upper 80s and the All Blue and Red Pontiac have started blooming again. The Yukons that got to 5 ft have yet to show a flower. This is one of the garden spots at the house. The fields are prepared for rain but still wanting. Which makes this method even more appealing to me.
Sometimes it does seem like I feed a small town but wouldn't trade it for anything!
Looking forward to some tater bin harvest pics and wishing all the best.

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Garlic crop rotating?
I started a bed 4'x6' last full of garlic. I was a...
disneynut1977
Looking for bloggers
I am looking for folk interested in writing about square...
Andrew_Green
Cold Weather Covers
I made a cover for a 4x4 box going off the instructions...
mtnrunner
Corn in sfg-how deep do roots need to grow?
My sfg is only 4x4. I plan this season, only using...
growingup
I'd like to try SFG like this....(see pic)
I'd like to try SFG in a 55 gallon drum like the one...
farmless_barn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™