Grubs

newbie468(7)June 7, 2014

Hello all,

This is my first year gardening and so far it is going well. I have been dreading the arrival of bugs though and now it appears the time has come.

I was out applying compost around my plants about an hour ago and stumbled upon three large, white/clear grubs with a brown head/mouth. I tossed them out immediately and have quickly learned that they are beetle larvae that eat the roots of plants, is that correct? Everything in that bed seems to be doing fine besides a sugar baby watermelon plant that is taking a while to get going.

Should I worry about the grubs? If so, how should I get rid of them? Nematodes/neem oil/etc? Thank you for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theforgottenone1013(MI zone 5b/6a)

The grubs probably migrated from your grass/lawn. They aren't an issue with vegetable plants (except for maybe corn).

Rodney

Bookmark   July 1, 2014 at 5:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vedabeeps

I have to disagree with Rodney, grubs *can* be a real problem. I learned the hard way when they killed some of my plants. The roots were eaten and totally disturbed (tomatoes, peppers, basil, etc.) There were dozens and dozens of them under each plant- a shovel full of soil would yield a frightening amount of them, more than I could simply pick out. The problem is when there are too many grubs, one here or there won't do damage and I guess they help break things down in the soil. We don't even have a lawn area anywhere near the garden for them to migrate from (and have never seen any sign of grub damage in the front lawn.)

Nematodes are the answer for me. We have insane numbers of Japanese Beetles burrowing into the soil and laying eggs. I have to do something to control them.

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
Garlic crop rotating?
I started a bed 4'x6' last full of garlic. I was a...
disneynut1977
Sub Irrigation Planter
I've read two ways to build these. One with gravel...
tedeboy
SFG drip system
As I ponder building my boxes and irrigation I am considering...
tedeboy
Corn in sfg-how deep do roots need to grow?
My sfg is only 4x4. I plan this season, only using...
growingup
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™