Diseased rootstock, what is it?

mroyboy(z10 CA)February 17, 2014

For the upcoming season I am wanting to graft all my tomatoes onto disease resistant rootstock. I chose RST-04-105-T from Harris Seeds and started 4 test seedlings. They are very slow growers, but around 3 weeks after germination they start showing signs of disease, beginning with white bumps on the stem, and then they start to hunch over, and the leaves curl upwards until they are rolled up. So far two of the four have had the same problems and I'm hesitant to start any more until I figure this out. None of my regular tomato seedlings have exhibited any type of behavior like this.

The soil for all my seedlings is moistened and then microwaved for 4 minutes, reaching temperatures up to 200 degrees to sterilize it in very small batches. The soil goes into a coconut coir shell molded for starting seedlings.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on? It's strange to have this happen to a plant that is supposed to have resistance to TMV, Corky Root, FW (1,2), V, Root-knot Nematode, Bacterial wilt and intermediate resistance to Southern Blight. I have another rootstock on order to try out in case this is something insurmountable.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Did you ever get this figured out?

If so, let us know, please

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 12:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mroyboy(z10 CA)

The store I purchased it from said it was probably some form of mildew - bizarre to say the least since everything around them were never affected in the slightest as those seedlings were consumed. They recommended an anti fungal spray. I sprayed them with neem oil dilution and the ones that hadn't died did recover. I have mainly moved to Estamino rootstock to avoid this entirely. When I do try this seed again I spray the seed with neem oil and that seems to take care of the issue. I believe the seeds are harboring the spores.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 7:22PM
More Discussions
What is this
Is this septoria leaf spot, bacterial speck or early...
lubadub
worst tomato plants ever
Hi I have been growing tomato plants for at least twenty...
greelygarden
Tomatoes - yellow leaves and one plant starting to become droopy
Hi guys, I'm a novice gardener in Queensland and have...
tommytomatoes
black spots on tomatoes
HI, As my wife and I are sitting hear having a cup...
dennyida
What's term for woven plants? Can tomatoes be woven?
In landscaping I've seen pictures of plants that are...
albert_135
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™