Stunted Tomatoes

janie_appleseedMarch 10, 2013

I've been really curious about this and I hope someone can help me:

I decided to transplant my two tomato plants into my garden when they started getting big. One of them had a green tomato about two 1/2 inches in diameter and a baby tomato about a centimetre in diameter. The other plant didn't have any. I did that about a month ago and they look EXACTLY the same. It doesn't look like there is anything wrong with the plant itself except for some occasional browning leaves. I'm worried something may have happened when I transplanted them. I read that herbicides will sometimes stunt the growth of tomatoes and i do use an insecticidal soap, but my tomatoes were stunted before I started using it. I hope someone knows what is going on!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

It would help us greatly if you'd tell us where you live.
Also how are you taking care of the plants? -- water? fertilizer? in pots or the ground?

For starters, if the prevailing temps (day or night or both) are below 55F, it's too cold for tomatoes.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 12:41AM
janie_appleseed

I live in Central Florida so the temperatures aren't too terribly crazy. Every now and then the temperature will drop to 40 or 50, but that doesn't happen very often and doesn't last very long when it does happen. It shouldn't happen any more as we are entering spring and summer.
I normally let my sprinkler water them which goes off every other day, unless it is so hot outside that the soil dries up and I have to water them.
I don't believe in synthetic fertilizer and I don't use any compost or manure so thats a no on fertilizer.
Yes, they are in the ground.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 5:26PM
butchfomby

1. GOOD TRANSPLANTS ARE NOT BIG....LOOK FOR TRANSPLANTS AROUND 6 INCHES OR SO
2. TOMATOES NEED NUTRIENTS TO PERFORM WELL...GOOD SOIL PREVENTS ALL KIND OF PROBLEMS AND DISEASES WHEN TRYING TO GROW TOMATOES (OR OTHER VEGETABLES)...SOIL NEEDS TO BE LOOSE, CAN RUN YOUR HAND DOWN INTO IT...IT TAKES TIME TO BUILD GOOD SOIL...
I DON'T KNOW HOW TO BUILD GOOD SOIL WITHOUT ADDING COMPOST FIRST AND FOR TOMATOES MYCORRHIZA SECOND...JUST TRYING TO HELP...ROY

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 6:59AM
More Discussions
What's term for woven plants? Can tomatoes be woven?
In landscaping I've seen pictures of plants that are...
albert_135
Yellow spots on leaves
Hi, I have several tomato plants that I started as...
jdftwrth
What is this
Is this septoria leaf spot, bacterial speck or early...
lubadub
Help Identifying Problem
I need help identifying what's happening with my tomato...
drhoads
No tomatoes
First time this has ever happened. My tomato plant...
patti_june
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™