Blossum end rot or fungus

tnjed(East Tn)March 14, 2006

I'm getting ready to start my plants for this year and am wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent a problem I've had over the past two seasons. Last year was worse than the year before and a majority of my tomatos developed brownish spots when they were still green. The spots weren't necessarily on the bottoms and as the fruit ripened the spots turned more of a grey or black color that looked like fuzzy mold growing on bread. I had three different plots with different tomatos and soil types in each plot. All of the plants had the same problem. The spots were generally about the size of a dime although some were bigger. I tried Stop-Rot and that didn't help. Can anyone tell me what these spots are, what is causing them and what I can do to prevent them this year? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom_va

If this is indeed blossum end rot, it is due to a lack of calcium. When we plant tomatoes we put a handful of ground limestone [available at Lowe's] around each plant. Some people put a handful in the hole for the roots but I've always been a little afraid of burning the roots with this method. We have used this as a dust on the plants as well.

Regards,

Tom

Bookmark   March 27, 2006 at 7:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Did you have any spots on the leaves?

Off hand it doesn't sound like BER to me.

Carolyn

Bookmark   April 2, 2006 at 8:36AM
More Discussions
Help Identifying Problem
I need help identifying what's happening with my tomato...
drhoads
New Forum Sucks
Why is it when you have something great someone comes...
hoosier318
tomatoes
a little green like fly is hammering my crop for the...
westy54
Help Pls! Tomato branches falling off
Hi all - A few weeks ago I started to notice a marginal...
jhamoud
worst tomato plants ever
Hi I have been growing tomato plants for at least twenty...
greelygarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™