trying to buy spinach plants

jozwiakJune 9, 2009

I planted my garden a month ago (Chicago) and my place didn't have spinach plants yet. Now none. Any ideas on where I can buy spinach plants for this year?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luke3026

I'm new at this, but I don't think that spinach transplants well and is recommended to be direct sowed. Not sure what zone you're in, but here in Zone 6 spinach is just about wrapping up for the season. My first square of it has bolted and my second square (planted 3 weeks later) is getting close to bolting. I direct sowed in early April in the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Luke's SF Victory Garden

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 10:33PM
mmqchdygg(Z5NH)

Agree; I'm in Z5, and I might get another round out of mine since we just had a cool snap, but I don't expect much more out of it. I'm going to plant some annual flowers in there til fall, or look into some other 'cover crop' thing, then perhaps reseed it for a fall crop or just let it go.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 9:17AM
defrost49

I've never seen spinach plants for sale. It's easy to grow from seed but it is day length sensitive. It's probably too late to plant but you might try for a fall crop. Would you consider swiss chard or another type of green?

Last year I had fantastic spinach but this year germination was poor. Maybe germination was ok and I have a problem with crows and other birds. Germination on sugar snap peas also planted in April was fine. mmqchdygg, I think I met you at Annie's NH swap and spoke with you briefly about winter sowing. When did you plant your spinach? Last year was my first year in ages of planting a small vegetable garden. I had people tell me I was planting to early yet I remember planting really late one year to have a very early spinach harvest the following year. TIA for the info

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
Mighty Matos / Mighty Veggies and SFG
Does anyone here have experience with SFG and Mighty...
tafountain
Cold Weather Covers
I made a cover for a 4x4 box going off the instructions...
mtnrunner
Corn in sfg-how deep do roots need to grow?
My sfg is only 4x4. I plan this season, only using...
growingup
Watery soil under raised bed
Hey all, I am new to raised beds, just started construction...
jazz1234
Using Miracle Gro Potting Mix in a Square Foot Bed
Turns out that courtesy of Costco, I can fill my bed...
GardeningHeidi
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™