fungal fruiting body?

honu(z11 HI)March 23, 2006

Does any fungus that can infect tomato leaves ever manifest as large visible fruiting bodies? Just wondering because my Yellow Brandywine potato leaves often have yellow halos surrounding brown spots (which look sort of like a. solani based on photos/reference materials), and happens to be next to a pot that has been sprouting mushrooms, which eventually choked out the peas that were supposed to be in that pot. Now it's just a big pot full of mushrooms, with mushrooms even growing out of the bottom drainholes touching the concrete sidewalk. We have been having constant severe rains and flooding day and night for several weeks.

Curiously the yellow leaf problem has not yet showed up on RL Carbon nearby (but Carbon is further away from the mushroom pot).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suze9(z8b Bastrop Co., TX)

Are you asking if the the mushrooms are producing spores that are somehow contaminating your tomato plants w/a. solani?

If so, no. Different kind of fungus.

Bookmark   March 27, 2006 at 11:10PM
honu(z11 HI)

Thanks suze! I thought so, but couldn't help wondering if a. solani or any other fungus that infects tomatoes has a visible fruiting body and what they look like. Guess I have all sorts of fungal spores floating around here.

Bookmark   March 28, 2006 at 10:05PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

but couldn't help wondering if a. solani or any other fungus that infects tomatoes has a visible fruiting body and what they look like. Guess I have all sorts of fungal spores floating around here.

Yes, there are several fungal diseases that have visible fruiting bodies.

Some of those include Gray Leaf Mold,both kinds of Powdery Mildew, Rhizopus Rot, Southern Blight and White Mold, for example.

Carolyn

Bookmark   April 2, 2006 at 8:43AM
honu(z11 HI)

Thanks Carolyn! I know PM all too well, but not sure about the others. With all the wet weather we've been having, fruiting bodies have popped up everywhere, and I am curious now harmful or benign they are. I will search for photos of the ones you mentioned.

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
Droopy Tomato leaves
Hi, I have noticed that my tomato leaves have started...
bopwinter
Tomatoe Seedling HELP
Hi My Tiny Tom tomato seedlings sprouted about three...
Julian Almond
P.Brandywine bumpy soft ,green curling leaves
Firstly, I'm a raw newbie. Please forgive any faux...
sproutling
What's term for woven plants? Can tomatoes be woven?
In landscaping I've seen pictures of plants that are...
albert_135
Tomatoes - yellow leaves and one plant starting to become droopy
Hi guys, I'm a novice gardener in Queensland and have...
tommytomatoes
Sponsored Products
Red Apple Fruit Fly Trap
$14.99 | zulily
Classroom Arm Chair in Mustard
$139.99 | Dot & Bo
Spring Air Back Supporter Plush Mattress and Box A & E Spring Set Multicolor - C
$752.99 | Hayneedle
Powell Red Hand painted Console
Beyond Stores
Moooi | Elements 007
YLighting
Almond LED Step Light Non Dimmable
$56.00 | PLFixtures
Fitzgerald Leather U-Sofa Sectional - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
Jado Contemporary Ultra Steel Round 8-inch Showerhead
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for: