Is this some kind of damping off?

gardengalrn(5KS)March 4, 2006

This year I've had a number of my seedlings come up "headless" as in just the sprout and no leaves. Then several come up with a thread-like leaf on one side or both. There are no obvious seed coat problems that I can tell. I know they won't survive like that but the stems aren't wilted or sickly looking as of right now. I just wondered if this was some kind of damping or other disease. I've had a couple of headless seedlings in the past but not to this extent nor have I seen the strange little leaves before. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. Lori

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barrie2m_

what you are describing is likely due to old seed. I've noticed the problem this year with ornamental pepper seeds that were many years old. I'd just count those among the ungerminated.

Bookmark   March 7, 2006 at 1:54PM
carolyn137(z4/5 NY)

Lori, not damping off, but for me usually seed age as noted in the above psot.

There are several threads about this now in the main forum.

Carolyn

Bookmark   March 7, 2006 at 2:11PM
gardengalrn(5KS)

I've been meaning to say thank-you for the comments. I go and urge a response and then don't respond myself, sorry. My DH went and broke his leg this week and I've been consumed with other things. A few of the sprouts that had the thread-like leaves turned around and got their first real leaves so I may keep a few of those and see what happens with them. Lori

Bookmark   March 12, 2006 at 1:52AM
More Discussions
What is this?
What is causing this on my tomatoes? Pests? Bugs?
kyleindebary
What is this?
Hi! I am brand new at growing tomatoes and just bought...
ItsMeET
Wilting Tomato Plant
I am growing several types of heirloom tomato plants...
awestruck
Help Identify my Uncle's Tomato pest
Hi all, I'm writing in behalf of my uncle who is not...
greengorilla2
Can you identify what's happening to my Celebrity Tomato?
Just planted my celebrity tomato into a raised garden....
sabinre
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™