white spots but can't find pics that look like this

katmichaelsMarch 30, 2013

Hi! I'm new here. I have a tomato plant in a self watering container and the tomatoes usually have white spots like the ones in this pic. I looked all over the internet and couldn't find spots that look like this. Any thoughts on what it is? Thanks!!!

Kat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janie_appleseed

I see that on my tomatoes a lot. It has never really become a big problem that threatens my tomato plants. The best thing I can say is try to pick the tomatoes a little bit early and let them ripen next to a window so they aren't exposed to bugs and other pests for too long. wishing you the best of luck!

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 12:31PM
katmichaels

Thanks for the advice. I will try that, but I'm still hoping for a fix. This picture was actually a very mild case. Sometimes the tomato is covered with those spots and I'm not sure if it's even healthy to eat. I'm wondering if maybe it's a bacterial thing from the standing water in the base of the planter. I mean, it's not possible to dump the water out every so often, because the plant is pretty big and the whole thing would just kind of come apart (the built-in stand, that is). In any case, that's my first theory. I'd love more!

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 9:15PM
janie_appleseed

No problemo! If that is only a mild case in the picture, then you might want to dissect one of the tomatoes with a more severe case. You might be able to find the culprit inside the tomato! If not, then i would definitely look into a pot that doesn't have a dish attached to the bottom of it (that is, if it is possible to move the plant). Just some ideas!

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 6:27PM
More Discussions
Mysterious disappearing Tomatoes
I'm in Richmond, VA (23233, if that helps). I moved...
Lorahv
black spots on tomatoes
HI, As my wife and I are sitting hear having a cup...
dennyida
Help Identify my Uncle's Tomato pest
Hi all, I'm writing in behalf of my uncle who is not...
greengorilla2
What's term for woven plants? Can tomatoes be woven?
In landscaping I've seen pictures of plants that are...
albert_135
tomatoes
a little green like fly is hammering my crop for the...
westy54
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™