white spots but can't find pics that look like this

katmichaelsMarch 30, 2013

Hi! I'm new here. I have a tomato plant in a self watering container and the tomatoes usually have white spots like the ones in this pic. I looked all over the internet and couldn't find spots that look like this. Any thoughts on what it is? Thanks!!!

Kat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janie_appleseed

I see that on my tomatoes a lot. It has never really become a big problem that threatens my tomato plants. The best thing I can say is try to pick the tomatoes a little bit early and let them ripen next to a window so they aren't exposed to bugs and other pests for too long. wishing you the best of luck!

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 12:31PM
katmichaels

Thanks for the advice. I will try that, but I'm still hoping for a fix. This picture was actually a very mild case. Sometimes the tomato is covered with those spots and I'm not sure if it's even healthy to eat. I'm wondering if maybe it's a bacterial thing from the standing water in the base of the planter. I mean, it's not possible to dump the water out every so often, because the plant is pretty big and the whole thing would just kind of come apart (the built-in stand, that is). In any case, that's my first theory. I'd love more!

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 9:15PM
janie_appleseed

No problemo! If that is only a mild case in the picture, then you might want to dissect one of the tomatoes with a more severe case. You might be able to find the culprit inside the tomato! If not, then i would definitely look into a pot that doesn't have a dish attached to the bottom of it (that is, if it is possible to move the plant). Just some ideas!

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 6:27PM
More Discussions
What is this?
Hi! I am brand new at growing tomatoes and just bought...
ItsMeET
Wilting Tomato Plant
I am growing several types of heirloom tomato plants...
awestruck
Mysterious disappearing Tomatoes
I'm in Richmond, VA (23233, if that helps). I moved...
Lorahv
Droopy Tomato leaves
Hi, I have noticed that my tomato leaves have started...
bopwinter
black spots on tomatoes
HI, As my wife and I are sitting hear having a cup...
dennyida
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™