Seedlings are putting their "hands" on their hips.

GardeningRook13(6a)April 18, 2013

Tomato seedlings are just over two weeks along, and have the first TRUE leaves. I have them under average flourescent lights. Temp is kept between 70-77 degrees, have had trouble keeping it consistant. But the first "non" true leaves are curling under. They look like someone who has their hands on their hips. Sorry don't have a pic. The plants are about 2-3 inches tall. Is this average height, for them at this "age"? Not all are doing this but most of them are. I thought maybe they were to dry because the day I first noticed this the soil was dry so I watered them and they still haven't improved. Its been two days. Is this normal? Do they "die" off once the true leaves develope? This is my second year growing my own, but its the first year I've bothered with the lights. Last year I just sat them in the window, west because I had none to the south. I don't recall them putting their hands on their hips. Could use some help... Also the plants are standing straight, its not like the pictures I've seen of damping off.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Images are helpful in situations such as this.

Perhaps excess light. Or too little water. Or excess water. Or ....

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:33PM
More Discussions
What is this?
Hi! I am brand new at growing tomatoes and just bought...
ItsMeET
Tomatoes - yellow leaves and one plant starting to become droopy
Hi guys, I'm a novice gardener in Queensland and have...
tommytomatoes
Help Pls! Tomato branches falling off
Hi all - A few weeks ago I started to notice a marginal...
jhamoud
P.Brandywine bumpy soft ,green curling leaves
Firstly, I'm a raw newbie. Please forgive any faux...
sproutling
Help Identify my Uncle's Tomato pest
Hi all, I'm writing in behalf of my uncle who is not...
greengorilla2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™