little black flying bugs

teesaz(9bAZ)April 14, 2008

I live in Phoenix, and noticed these little black winged bug/gnat like things on my plant and on the plant there seems to be little black dots around some of the stems. I am a novice and this is the first thing I ever planted. I heard I can use a diluted mix of soap with water and spray it on the plant, but I have no idea the ratio. I also saw a spider like clear bug on the bottom leaf and took the hose and gently gave the plant a gentle spray all over. Does anyone know what I can use to get rid of these bugs? I am just starting to get little tomatoes coming in. Should I get a pot of marigolds to put near the plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

They could be either fungus gnats or black aphids - neither will do much if any harm to the plants and can usually be controlled with just water spray just as you did.

The mix for soapy water spray is 1T of liquid soap to 1 gallon of water and shake well. But it can be harmful to the plant if not used correctly: only lightly mist the bugs and not the whole plant, do NOT drench the leaves, and do NOT spray in the direct sun or the heat of the day.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Bookmark   April 14, 2008 at 1:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geno-gardner(9)

I got those little fling gnats or flies to all over my new tomatoe plants too. I thought they might be a type of flying aphid. Not to sure but have seen something similar on my roses and sprayed very dilute all purpose insect spray and got rid of them.
gene

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 5:08PM
More Discussions
Aphids and mosaic virus!!
I only have 2-3 aphids on my seedlings... The next...
T S
Can you identify what's happening to my Celebrity Tomato?
Just planted my celebrity tomato into a raised garden....
sabinre
Help Pls! Tomato branches falling off
Hi all - A few weeks ago I started to notice a marginal...
jhamoud
Tomatoes - yellow leaves and one plant starting to become droopy
Hi guys, I'm a novice gardener in Queensland and have...
tommytomatoes
Tomatoe Seedling HELP
Hi My Tiny Tom tomato seedlings sprouted about three...
Julian Almond
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™