Blue jacaranda in TN?

rizzir(z7b TN)April 2, 2012

Has anyone successfully grown a blue jacaranda in Tennessee? I'm gardening all in blues at my new-to-me historic home in Knoxville, to match the trim on my house. I keep dreaming of having a blue-flowering tree to go with my plantings... I have a microclimate that might do, in the pocket created where my front porch meets the house. Lots of morning and afternoon sunlight, missing the noon hours. Ample water from two downspouts available.

Lest you think I'm not aware, I realize that most US jacarandas are actually lavender-colored, and resemble the evil invader Pawlonia tomentosa, "Princess Tree," which I would never plant on purpose. If I tried a jacaranda, I would try to get one of the cobalt blue-flowering types found in Australia.

Would I have a chance or should I give up on this crazy dream now? Any other true blue trees or tall shrubs you can think of that might fare better?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

It's going to require either a very warm microclimate, a lot of babying, or both. If I were going to try one, I wouldn't use it as part of a landscape (where it's death would leave a void). It might be worth playing with as long as you realize it very very well might not make it, and a cold winter will be a real challenge.

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 7:21PM
More Discussions
questions from new TN gardener
I'm not a new gardener but new Z7, southwest TN. Will...
ryseryse_2004
Evergreen trees with large leaves
I'm seeing them all around and wonder what they are?...
ryseryse_2004
A couple of palms almost grew in Knoxville
This past year, a new Holiday Inn appeared on Papermill...
anntn6b
New to Knoxville
I'm new to Knoxville TN and new to gardening in general....
freshvegetables
plants to give away.
I live in Ringgold, GA near Chattanooga. I have some...
mrlynn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™