Large spreading Azaleas? East TN

tsknoxvilleApril 13, 2008

I'm looking for some suggestions in choosing large spreading azaleas for my yard. I live in East TN, Zone 6. I'm looking for azaleas to plant at the edge of a tree line (under trees), that will grow to 6'-10' and help block my neightbor's yard/house (they've cut down some trees, exposing my yard/house).

I see lots of information about azaleas in other states, but haven't found much about my area.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pilothawk

There are lots of azaleas around that for sure. Even the large spreading azaleas will take several years to get large enough to fill the void you describe. What kind of trees are you wanting to plant under, and how much sun does that area receive? These things can have a huge impact on how successful your azaleas will be.

Now to answer your question...I have no idea what the variety is called, but the ones that look more like a mountain laurel with the longer leaves and larger light purplish blooms are the ones that I see that have the best spread.

Just adding to the confusion.
Chris

Bookmark   April 14, 2008 at 11:19PM
pilothawk

I forgot to add. If you live near Oak Ridge I can put you in contact with a man that has raised azaleas for 40+ years and knows all there is to know about them. He has even crossbed a few of his own cultivars. He has a spring sale every year to thin what he has. I bought 6 from him this year and they are thriving and just about ready to bloom.

Bookmark   April 14, 2008 at 11:23PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Chris,

I'd be very interested in meeting this guy too. We are getting ready to add a bunch of rhododendron and azaleas at the Oak Ridge Arboretum and would love to talk to anyone really familiar with growing these in this particular area. Someone in Oak Ridge would be particularly awesome.

Brandon

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 11:47AM
tsknoxville

Chris,
Most of the trees around our house are red oak and beech, plus some scrub trees. This time of year, there is lots of sunshine since the trees have none to minimal leaves. During the summer, the area is filled with dappled light through the leaves. One side gets some morning light.

I realize that it will take several years (possibly many) for the azaleas to get large... but it won't happen if I don't start sometime. ;-)

I live near enough to Oak Ridge to drive over. So I would like to meet or be in contact with the azalea man there.
Ted

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 4:13PM
tsknoxville

I think that Chris might mean Huey Sides...

Here is a link that might be useful: The Oak Ridger Online

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 9:58AM
zinniasareok(7)

I want to meet the Oak Ridge azalea man, too, and more importantly, go to his spring plant sale. Can you post details here?

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 9:39PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

What a small world, guess who I met at the Oak Ridge Arboretum Plant Sale.

Bookmark   April 19, 2008 at 9:59PM
More Discussions
vegetables/herbs in Tennessee
What are you planting now? What have you already...
ryseryse_2004
New to Knoxville
I'm new to Knoxville TN and new to gardening in general....
freshvegetables
Memphis Area Master Gardeners Spring Fling 2015
Memphis Area Master Gardeners Kick-Off the 2015 Gardening...
barbcull
questions from new TN gardener
I'm not a new gardener but new Z7, southwest TN. Will...
ryseryse_2004
Growing Grapes in Tennessee
In hopes of getting some conversation going in our...
brandon7 TN_zone
Sponsored Products
Balance White Bookshelf
| Dot & Bo
Tall Red Bamboo Stalk Vase
$146.90 | Bludot
Large Etched Stainless Steel Garden Torch W/ Scroll Floor Stand -Stainless Steel
Signature Hardware
Bestar i3 Northern Maple & Sandstone 89 x 60 U-Shaped Workstation Desk
LuxeDecor
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Lavish
$69.00 | Home Depot
KALCO Lighting 2997TN Stapleford Tuscan Sun 6 Light Chandelier
Littman Bros Lighting
Toikka Bird - Little Barn Owl by Iittala
$195.00 | Lumens
Cottonwood Falls Brown Marble Round Copper Wall Fountain
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for: