ID a tomato disease

kitchamitcha(Z6 upstate NY)April 29, 2008

I'd like to nip this in the bud before spring planting - any help IDing the problem will be appreciated! (see pic)

--Yellowing starts first, bottom leaves & works its way up

--Brown spots on leaves, stems

--Leaves eventually totally brown up and dangle dead on the plant

--Some plants have zero usable tomatoes (tomatoes set but are weak/diseased looking) others (super 100) churn out lots despite no leaves

--Must be in the soil, as same problem 2 years running

--Thinking it was early blight put in Mountain Fresh hybrids last year but they did very poorly!

We are in upstate NY. Thanks!

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

It's early blight. I assume this is a pic of last year's plant and that you haven't planted yet this year, right?

The only preventative is using a fungicide from the day of planting. Daconil in one of its various product names is the most recommended. Be sure to read and follow the label directions for mixing and avoid applying it in the direct sun or the heat of the day.

The fungus spores survive in the soil and garden debris from the previous year and can also be airborne so once it starts there is no cure - just prevention.

If you will search 'early blight' here you'll find many discussions about it and about the use of fungicides to prevent it.

Good luck.

Dave

Bookmark   May 1, 2008 at 9:43PM
nanners27

I live in NE Florida and have two young tomato plants that are just starting to fruit. The leaves have begun to curl upwards and have little yellow dots on them. The stem looks fine and the fruits are developing well. I have looked on the internet and the closest thing I have found as to what they look like is pseudo curly top virus. Based on the description of the leaves do you think it might be pseudo curly top virus or early blight and what can I do to treatment them?

Thanks!!!

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 8:41AM
vtgreenthumb

Early Blight. I have to treat my plants with Daconil every year to prevent them from dying. It will not cure affected plants, but it will stop the disease from spreading. I mulch around all my plants and treat the plants after every rainfall until I start picking. Have not had a problem in the past few years.

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 2:56PM
pembertonsandrak_yahoo_com

my leaves appear to be dry and curl up but they are getting plenty of water please help

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 7:44AM
More Discussions
Tomato Pests & Diseases
Home-grown tomatoes are a source of pride, a thing...
priyaspageo
Help Pls! Tomato branches falling off
Hi all - A few weeks ago I started to notice a marginal...
jhamoud
Help Identifying Problem
I need help identifying what's happening with my tomato...
drhoads
Droopy Tomato leaves
Hi, I have noticed that my tomato leaves have started...
bopwinter
What is this?
What is causing this on my tomatoes? Pests? Bugs?
kyleindebary
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™