What's your favorite absolutely fresh garden veggie?

oasis_226(z7b Atlanta GA)July 5, 2008

I was just wondering what everyone's favorite fresh veggie from their garden was. Last night, as I was cooking dinner for the 4th, I waited til the last moment to go out and pick some squash, basil, and tomatoes for dinner. I mean, everything else was done, and I'm delaying dinner an extra 5 minutes so that the squash on the table can be it's absolute freshest. Is it really that much better than the stuff a week old at the store? I'd say yes obviously.

I'd have to say my fresh favorites are tomatoes (freshness matters, though this also has much to do with varieties I think) and corn, for which you should have the grill hot or the water boiling before you even head out to pick it. I also love the fresh herbs.

What are your favorites for 10 minutes from the garden to the table?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jbest123(Zone 5 PA)

Thats like asking which is my favorite child. I love them all the same. That goes for vegies from the garden as well.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 9:11AM
sparks5478(Zone 7 LI, NY)

Hands down, tomatoes. Except for a few sauce tomatoes, I only grow cherries--12 different varieties this year. If they manage to make it out of the garden (one for the bowl, two for me...) there's nothing quite like a salad of rainbow colored cherry tomatoes with a light vinaigrette and some fresh basil.

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 10:27AM
sinfonian(U8b A2 S5 SeaWA)

I expect my answers will be corn and tomatoes as well, but alas, I haven't harvested those yet, and am a long way off at that.

So far I'd say the lettuce mix and peas. They kick the tale of their store-bought counterparts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure!

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 12:22PM
m_lorne(5b)

Has to be peas. Had my first harvest of sugar snap peas of the season last night. Wow! Can't beat that taste.

Ready to be picked...

Ready to be eaten :-)

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 11:22AM
newgardenelf

cukes and basil

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 10:32PM
Melissa Houser

I HATE canned green beans, but am loving the ones I pick from my garden and steam for just a few minutes. Yum! Strangely enough, I haven't convinced the canned green bean eater here to try the ones I've grown yet...so I get the fresh ones all to myself! :)

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 10:42AM
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

Well, since I've never grown alot of things until this year, I can only say tomatoes.....but that may change when I get to try some homegrown broccoli this fall. I've heard it's fantastic!

EG

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 1:52PM
bdobs(8b or 9 SF Bay Area)

TOMATOES

Bookmark   July 10, 2008 at 12:58PM
msyoohoo

Tomatoes, basil and cilantro. Yum-mie!

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 11:21AM
susancol(7 Atlanta)

Peas seem to be the most different between garden and supermarket. I remember when I was growing up there was always a distinction made between plain old "peas" and "garden peas" as if the latter was a whole different ballgame. As an adult, I know that it's because the natural sugars break down into starches quickly once the pod is separated from the vine. Yup, peas get my vote.

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 3:56PM
More Discussions
staining wood for raised beds.
I'm wanting to build a raised bed and first went out...
johnmcd348
Looking for bloggers
I am looking for folk interested in writing about square...
Andrew_Green
Sub Irrigation Planter
I've read two ways to build these. One with gravel...
tedeboy
Cold Weather Covers
I made a cover for a 4x4 box going off the instructions...
mtnrunner
How deep does a raised bed need to be?
I'm new to SFG and was wondering if the depth of the...
pinkkpearls
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™