What should we spray tomato plants with to prevent diseases and i

sharonrossyApril 14, 2013

Hi I read somewhere last season about a couple of products that should be used early and on a regular basis to keep tomato plants healthy. Can someone give recommendations? Thanks, Sharon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

In order to answer your question, we need to know which diseases you're plants are likely to get in your area, also which ones you're trying to manage.

In general, preventive sprays aren't used.

Instead, action may be required at the very first hint of a problem. But, again, that problem must first be identified.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rembetika(austin, TX)

Spray leaves (underside also) once a week with fish/seaweed emulsion (from an organic gardening store). Put a tsp or so in a spray bottle with water.
Also get a good tomato food and sprinkle a capful around the base once every week or so, before watering. Or you can mix w/ water in watering can. Some people use organic tomato food, some like Miracle-Gro, Hasta-Gro, etc.
This year, I also started spraying a fungicide/insecticide/miticide on everything because in recent years the entire garden gets destroyed by stink/leaf-footed bugs, spider mites, and some kind of blight or wilt. Using organic AND non-organic to cover both bases. So we'll see if this helps in the long run.
But of course wait til you see signs before you start treating, and do some research to make sure of what you're dealing with. So it's not really a preventive thing, but you have to try to nip the issues in the bud before they get a lot worse.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
Mysterious disappearing Tomatoes
I'm in Richmond, VA (23233, if that helps). I moved...
Lorahv
Tomato Leaves Turning Blackish
I planted my tomatoes from seeds two months ago. They...
tomatodad
What is this?
What is causing this on my tomatoes? Pests? Bugs?
kyleindebary
What is this
Is this septoria leaf spot, bacterial speck or early...
lubadub
Help Identify my Uncle's Tomato pest
Hi all, I'm writing in behalf of my uncle who is not...
greengorilla2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™