Tennessee Plants - Viginia Bluebells

tngreenthumb(z6 TN)April 1, 2008

Not sure if these are truly native, but I have seen them growing along streams in TN all my life. So as far as I'm concerned, in spite of their name, they are native. *grin*

Latin name: Mertensia virginica

A spring ephemeral, the bluebell does its thing in late March to early April and by about June are completely gone. Just one of the very interesting plants you'll find growing in the woods in our great state.

(Click on images for larger versions)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cannahavana(z7a Knoxville)

Ooooh! We have some just starting to bloom in our shade garden. Your last picture magically became my desktop pic of the week!

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 4:27PM
tngreenthumb(z6 TN)

Amazing how that happens, isn't it?

It's a little java script I attach to all my pictures. *grin*

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 5:29PM
amazindirt(7A mid-TN)

Oooo, good idea! I have rotating desktops, this'll be a great addition to the set. :-)

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 11:06PM
katiedidcottage(z7 TN / Chattanooga)

How beautiful! Also on my desktop now.

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 9:31AM
flowermom_aandd

One of my favorite purchases at the flea market in Jonesboro. 1 gallon plants in 2nd spring now three feet across. Love them.

Whats a good companion plant for when they die back?? They are flourishing in a bed that everything seems to die in. (Started shade but keeps getting more sun. We replaced trees then neighbor removed all his trees!)

Bookmark   April 16, 2008 at 1:25PM
sondra_tn(South East TN (6/7))

Gorgeous!! I want some...lol I don't have anything blue in my bed's. Will have to go walking in the wood's I guess. :)

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 6:45PM
atokadawn(7)

I have been seeing these bloom on the back wooded roads. Now that I know what they are, I will just have to drive hubby nuts (like always) and stop to dig some up. I am always in for shade plants. How hard are they to transplant?

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 8:43PM
tnfarmersgirl(6 ChattanoogaTN)

Wow...I was just wondering what they were. There is a great walking path near here in Collegedale and they were all over, simply stunning.

Thanks

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 10:05AM
tngreenthumb(z6 TN)

Well, they are ephemerals, so it's best to wait until they have about gone before digging them. But then sometimes you have to get while the getting is good.

They have rather large rhizomes and are usually pretty deep. They seem to prefer the sandy soil around creeks and rivers. Places that flood occasionally.

They may wilt a bit when being transplanted, but the ones I got sat in a grocery sack for about a day before I could get them home and planted. They look a little odd now, but they are surviving. I think they will be back next year!

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 3:17PM
More Discussions
Grading/Leveling recommendations
We're looking to grade and landscape our backyard,...
elsten
Composting Leaves
I have a huge pile of leaves, trying to speed up composting...
maternut
groundcovers in SW Tennessee
I had lots of Lamium, creeping Thyme, mints in Illinois...
ryseryse_2004
Pollinator habitat
I live in Virginia, but I am installing a pollinator...
Nell
plants to give away.
I live in Ringgold, GA near Chattanooga. I have some...
mrlynn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™