soil disease question

yaquigrande(6)April 5, 2008

It's been said here and elsewhere not to plant tomatoes in the same spot year after year because of the possibility of soil diseases particular to tomatoes. How localized will the diseases be? In other words, how far from the previous spot do I have to plant my new tomato plants?

Thank you.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I searched for the answer here but could not find it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Hi - the need to rotate tomato crops depends on how much room you have. Commercial growers with large field grown tomato acres sometimes rotate but it isn't nearly as common a practice as it used to be since we now have many resistant varieties of tomatoes.

Home gardeners often don't have the space to rotate and honestly, even if we do have the room, many of us don't do it. Instead we amend the bed with lots of compost and the beneficial organisms it contains each year to control diseases. The exception is if you had a really bad case of soil borne fungus disease such as black rot or stem rot in the previous year. Since many of the common tomato diseases are airborne, rotation doesn't help prevent them much.

But if you have the room to rotate to a new location it sure can't hurt to move them 6-8 feet away. Just depends on the room you have.

I have linked many of the previous discussions on this question for you below if you wish to review them.

Enjoy your garden! ;)

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato rotation discussions...

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 4:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yaquigrande(6)

Thank you! It did not occur to me to search for "rotation"!
I am learning lots from the tomato rotation discussions!

Bookmark   April 7, 2008 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
black spots on tomatoes
HI, As my wife and I are sitting hear having a cup...
dennyida
Need help with wilt
Since the ground is infected with the wilt and don't...
oldgardenguy_zone6
New Forum Sucks
Why is it when you have something great someone comes...
hoosier318
Tomatoes - yellow leaves and one plant starting to become droopy
Hi guys, I'm a novice gardener in Queensland and have...
tommytomatoes
Can you identify what's happening to my Celebrity Tomato?
Just planted my celebrity tomato into a raised garden....
sabinre
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™