Please help identify tomato leaf spots?

echo_of_eveMay 25, 2010

Hi, I'm new to gardening and new to the forum. I bought a couple of nice looking tomato plants from an old guy at our local farmer's market two weeks ago. One was a Cherokee Purple, and one was a Sweet 100 cherry tomato. The Cherokee purple looks great.

Problem is, I started noticing about a week ago some darker green looking spots on the mature leaves of the Sweet 100. My first thought was that it was blight and I should pitch it immediately... but it doesn't LOOK like the pictures of blight that I see online. The leaves have slowly gotten more spots, but the spots died. There's no discoloration other than the dead spots.

Note on the image: there's no white on the leaves, that's just reflection from the flash that you see.

http://img638.imageshack.us/i/img0988d.jpg/

http://img179.imageshack.us/i/img0981nz.jpg/

If anyone could identify this, tell me if I should rip out the plant or if not, how to treat it, I would be greatly appreciative. I have no idea what I'm doing, and no one to teach me how to garden. :/

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lionheart_gw

This doesn't look like a disease and, you're right, it's definitely not blight.

Looks like insect damage to me.

Bookmark   May 25, 2010 at 5:45PM
ncrealestateguy

I agree with Lionheart... looks like snail damage to me... they have a rasping mouthpart that can do this. The sweet 100 is a tough plant to begin with. And one of my favorite cherries.

Bookmark   May 25, 2010 at 6:00PM
echo_of_eve

Hi guys, thanks for the "not-blight" info, I will refrain from ripping it out and burning it.

One note, it's possible that it had snails before I bought it, but I didn't notice spots when I bought it, then it sat in my house for a week, with me checking on it every day (no snails or bugs) and i started to notice those spots developing. They started out darker green, and then eventually became the sunken, dried, brown spots that you see in the photos. Does that help any?

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 10:48PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Nothing ate the tissue. Instead the cells collapsed due to a cultrual/environemental glitch.

As a starter list consider these: Perhaps not hardened off enough; windy; to warm; inadequate water; root damage.

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 2:17AM
More Discussions
Mysterious disappearing Tomatoes
I'm in Richmond, VA (23233, if that helps). I moved...
Lorahv
Help Identify my Uncle's Tomato pest
Hi all, I'm writing in behalf of my uncle who is not...
greengorilla2
Need help with wilt
Since the ground is infected with the wilt and don't...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Sick tomato plants
Some of my tomatoes look really sick. Is this a disease?...
JaneMacG
P.Brandywine bumpy soft ,green curling leaves
Firstly, I'm a raw newbie. Please forgive any faux...
sproutling
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™