Tomato pest -

g8shot1May 23, 2010

Hi,

We are very new at all of this - we are growing onions, garlic (planted last fall), peppers, cilantro, basil, and carrots, they are all doing well.

We also have six tomato plants. A couple of them have recently developed some holes in the lower leaves. Today I found this:

http://www.jmd.org/garden/DSC04747.JPG

and

http://www.jmd.org/garden/DSC04749.JPG

What is this beast and is there anything organic that can deter them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
g8shot1

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 1:50PM
g8shot1

Clavate Tortoise Beetle - Now to find how to get rid of them in a somewhat natural way. They are not supposed to be here.....

Any advice?

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 4:46PM
g8shot1

The answer is Rotenone specifically lists the tortoise beetle - I'll give it a try soon.

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 4:43PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

How many do you have? If only a few, physically remove, squish, or flick into soapy water and skip the rotenone.

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 2:18AM
SmudgiesMom

I have a pest that's similar but not the same. Zone 5, north of Toronto. Starte with yellow leaves, then holes in leaves, then holes in green leaves, then lower leaves die and progresses up the plant. In patio pots, Sunrise variety. Second yeaer of this in my patio pots. I've seardhed Google images and all over Garden Web and haven't seen this pest. Plese help! I miss having good tomatoes. They still grow but don't mature properly and are very bland tasting. Anything you guys can tell me will help! TIA

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 12:11PM
SmudgiesMom

I have a pest that's similar but not the same. Zone 5, north of Toronto. Starte with yellow leaves, then holes in leaves, then holes in green leaves, then lower leaves die and progresses up the plant. In patio pots, Sunrise variety. Second yeaer of this in my patio pots. I've seardhed Google images and all over Garden Web and haven't seen this pest. Plese help! I miss having good tomatoes. They still grow but don't mature properly and are very bland tasting. Anything you guys can tell me will help! TIA

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
New Forum Sucks
Why is it when you have something great someone comes...
hoosier318
black spots on tomatoes
HI, As my wife and I are sitting hear having a cup...
dennyida
Can you identify what's happening to my Celebrity Tomato?
Just planted my celebrity tomato into a raised garden....
sabinre
What is this
Is this septoria leaf spot, bacterial speck or early...
lubadub
What's term for woven plants? Can tomatoes be woven?
In landscaping I've seen pictures of plants that are...
albert_135
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™