Is squishing the cucumber beetle enough to save veggies?

istheremeaning(5)July 1, 2008

I noticed a few little nibbles from the leaves of my pumpkins, melons, squash, zucchini and cucumbers a few days ago. It was nothing major I could not find anything hanging around munching so i figured no big deal. However last night I went out to inspect with a flashlight and discovered a cucumber beetle mating festival in full swing. I squished as many as I could find... kinda gross but it needed to be done. I think I read that they lay eggs 10 days after mating so I am hoping I might have prevented the egg laying so far. I would like to know when I should conduct my squishing hunt for them. I found some in blossoms this morning to. Do I squish morning and night or all day long? Will I need to do this for the rest of the season or just for a little while? If the squishing will not be enough I read some of the posts on here about the little traps but most people who said they were off to try them and that they would report back did not. If you used the trap cup method let me know if you thought it was useful. I made some of the garlic spray a few weeks ago and that took care of the aphids really well I haven't had to use it since. Does anyone know if the garlic spray works for these little stripped monsters?

Thanks guys for taking the time to read and answer my questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: my square foot garden blog it has my garden layout and pictures comments are welcome!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

Good for you! Isn't it amazing what is out there at night? I can't help you with the various methods, as I only rely on NEEM and hand picking/squashing.

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 12:07PM
gumby_ct(CT it says Z5)

I think if you look at the back of the leave you can find clusters of eggs. It may be more efficient to remove these eggs before they hatch. I have used tape to stick on eggs & pull off the leaves. Most any tape will do, duct, or masking tape. You can do this to reduce the numbers greatly.

HTH,
Gumby_CT

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 3:49PM
istheremeaning(5)

Well I did not find any eggs anywhere..... so I am crossing my fingers!
I went out several times and squished any I found. This morning i found only 6 bugs in the flowers of the pumpkins. I sprayed the garlic, cayenne, oil, soap and water spray several times yesterday.... it rained on and off through out the day and night. I only caught 3 of them last night. I am hoping that I made it through yet another pest invasion.
How long do I have to worry about the cucumber beetles?

Here is a link that might be useful: My square foot garden blog it has my garden layout and pictures comments are welcome!

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 8:49AM
holly-2006

Those danged things wiped out all of my cuke plants last year, so now I've whipped out the Rotenone. I am determined to get some cukes this year.

As for how long they'll hang around - I think that I read until October somewhere around here...

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
Onion spacing- 16/sq ft vs. Dixondale recommendation
Dixondale farms suggests 4" between onions, and...
mmqchdygg
First attempt at squire foot gardening
Hey everyone! I would like to thank this forum for...
citrusweekendwarrior
Vermiculite Source List - Throughout USA
I had a hard time finding vermiculite, so I have compiled...
angela12345
Raised kidney shaped garden
I have a kidney shaped raised garden that I have planted...
charlieboring
Lateral space for dripline irrigation in square foot garden?
Hello! I'm pretty new to square foot gardening and...
poppenschmaltz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™