protecting tomato plants

sgginerMay 20, 2008

I have an organic garden.

What plants should I plant by a tomato plant to keep bugs and tomato diseases under control?

Thanks

Glenn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moriah

I have heard that marigolds are good for this. I have not tried it yet myself, but several of my friends who are gardener have suggested marigolds to keep bugs away. I am not sure about diseases.

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 8:03PM
tdavis802

I was told Basil and Dill help keep the pests away too.

Bookmark   May 27, 2008 at 11:55PM
shebear(z8 NCentralTex)

To me marigolds attract insects but at least that keeps them away for your crops. I really think most companion planting is for taste or the plants are attractors that pull the insects to them.

Basil affects taste.

Read this site: http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

I think it is right on target with most info.

Here's some more:

http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/lib2/complant.htm

After having been active in a community garden for the last 3 years that is located in an open field, I've come to the conclusion that surrounding the garden with herbs and then having strategic herb plantings in different spots inside the beds keeps the bugs to a minimium. (Not counting stink bugs....I'm working on that specific combination still) Of course you have to keep the beds clean and be reactive when they do show up but we really have only had small problems except for the stink bugs. It pays to research the bugs favorite foods too. Some bugs like chocolate cake and some like ice cream....know your enemy and see what farmers use as trap crops.

Good luck

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 8:47AM
PEST.R.Us

Hello! I see you are interested in starting to grow your own tomato plants. With tomato plants, there a couple of points to take into consideration, first of; Tomato plants are attractive towards many different pests. Tomato cutworms are usually in abundance in the early seasons. You can buy specific sprays and deterrents online and in your local gardening store. It is always best to be aware of different pests trying to eat your tomato plants. Horn worms, flea's, beetles, Aphis and psyliids are all different types of pests. Although I cannot assist you in choosing the right plant to have alongside your tomato plant, I specialize in treating pests and ensuring that your plants grow and prosper without constant threat of insects. For more information visit our website!

Here is a link that might be useful: pest r us

This post was edited by PEST.R.Us on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 11:02

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 11:00AM
More Discussions
worst tomato plants ever
Hi I have been growing tomato plants for at least twenty...
greelygarden
Tomato Leaves Turning Blackish
I planted my tomatoes from seeds two months ago. They...
tomatodad
Tomato Pests & Diseases
Home-grown tomatoes are a source of pride, a thing...
priyaspageo
New Forum Sucks
Why is it when you have something great someone comes...
hoosier318
Mysterious disappearing Tomatoes
I'm in Richmond, VA (23233, if that helps). I moved...
Lorahv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™