rooftop SFG

imkaydeeJuly 13, 2008

I have been an avid SFG for many years now. My first gardens were very large, because I had plenty of space to grow. Now, I live in an apartment with no yard at all. So, I spent the winter trying to devise a plan.

My kitchen windows overlook a large, sunny, roof top for the business below my apartment. I spoke with the landlord and explained my idea for a very lightweight, well draining, rooftop garden. THANKFULLY, she approved it!!!

I used several different types of containers - some storage bins, utility bins, and some large pots. I drilled holes a few inches apart about 2-3 inches from the bottom on all sides of the bins. I filled the bottom of the containers with a few inches of lava rock, because it is very lightweight. I made my own soil mix using composted manure, peat, humus and vermiculite.

I am growing cucumbers and just picked 2 nice large ones today! I have several varieties of tomatoes, yellow squash, eggplant, brussel sprouts, mesculin salad mix, butter crunch lettuce, spinach, strawberries, habenero peppers, sweet yellow peppers, basil, cilantro, parsley, rosemary, chives, and a few edible flowers for beautiful garden color and salads.

It is working out wonderfully!!! The small resevoir at the bottom of the bins (below the drill holes) helps retain some moisture, compared to the usual bottom holes in most containers. They drain well, even during the many heavy rains we received this year.

This garden has been so easy to care for!!! Not much weeding at all and watering just 1 - 2 times per week. A great benefit of rooftop gardening is - no animals are invading!!!

At first, I really missed having a yard for my garden, now I love my rooftop and it is sooo beautiful!! I hope to get some photos to share with you soon.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sinfonian(U8b A2 S5 SeaWA)

It's great you can stil garden! I can't wait to see the pics of your garden and a view from your kitchen window. What a great idea! Hope you get good production and have fun doing it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure!

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 1:46PM
dirtdauberz5mo

Hooray for the landlord! And hooray for you....can't wait to see the pics!

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 9:54PM
engineeredgarden(7, nw Alabama)

That would definitely make it difficult for the deer, and other critters to get to it. Please share your pics with us when you get them. I can't wait.

EG

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
Looking for bloggers
I am looking for folk interested in writing about square...
Andrew_Green
Garlic crop rotating?
I started a bed 4'x6' last full of garlic. I was a...
disneynut1977
Experiment - Soilless mixture for raised beds
This is my first post to the GardenWeb Forums. I have...
Jacques
Lateral space for dripline irrigation in square foot garden?
Hello! I'm pretty new to square foot gardening and...
poppenschmaltz
Corn in sfg-how deep do roots need to grow?
My sfg is only 4x4. I plan this season, only using...
growingup
Sponsored Products
Modernoutdoor | Kenji Bench
YLiving.com
Sailboat Weathervane
Grandin Road
Ayshire Area Rug
FRONTGATE
Rich Brilliant Willing | Delta IV Pendant
YLighting
Handmade Water Tower Throw Pillow
$54.99 | Dot & Bo