Apparently we have a tall fescue lawn now :/

lviceApril 19, 2014

Hi :)
I am a new Middle TN homeowner with toddler twins so our yard had been pretty neglected since we bought the house last year. We are now getting around to fixing everything back up.

Last summer I was dismayed when our yard was brown and patchy and all our neighbors were green. However this fall and spring (particularly right now) our lawn is green and everyone else's is still brown.

Apparently we *should* have Bermuda grass, and while there is some left it's looking very fescue-y to me. Is this climate ok to keep a tall fescue lawn? It bums me out that we might have brown grass all summer and be "those people". It's a very cookie cutter neighborhood so I don't love standing out in a bad way. But my only other option is to kill everything.

What should I do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lvice

Here is a photo I took today (notice our neighbors Bermuda lawn is still dormant)

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 5:39PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

"Apparently we *should* have Bermuda grass..."

Is this a joke? I don't get it.

"What should I do?"

If for some bizarre reason you actually do want Bermuda grass and your neighbors have Bermuda grass now, all you have to do is sit back and wait. The Bermuda will invade your yard and take over in no time.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 9:48PM
JonCraig(6b)

No one "should" have Bermuda. Bermuda "should" be killed with fire and holy water. (My opinion, lol.)

I've spent 4 years battling Bermuda trying to give some Turf Type Tall Fescue (TTTF) a fighting chance against the evil devilgrass. That's countless hours, a couple hundred pounds of seed, fertilizer, who knows how many gallons of water, and (as of this spring), some chemical concoctions that make my neighbors think I'm cooking meth.

'round here the Bermuda is still dormant⦠but it's coming⦠soon⦠creeping over a flower bed border near you⦠lol.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 10:09PM
lvice

^^hahahaha

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 1:13AM
lvice

Well cool! Happy accident I guess. We just redid our front flower beds and made ham smaller and the guy who was helping us seeded the new bare area with tall fescue...the. I was worried if it was the right thing.

I guess it does make more sense to have brown grass for only 2-3 months instead of 5-6. I wouldn't mind being the only green lawn in the winter I guess!

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 1:20AM
More Discussions
Help with Knockout Roses
I have lost 4 mature Knockout Roses, about 10 years...
neil64
Which Fruit Trees to plant?
I just purchased 3 acres and a small house. The entire...
hopin4rain
Thin Tall Evergreen?
Hi all, I'm a new gardener living in TN. I'm looking...
linkjg
Growing Grapes in Tennessee
In hopes of getting some conversation going in our...
brandon7 TN_zone
questions from new TN gardener
I'm not a new gardener but new Z7, southwest TN. Will...
ryseryse_2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™