butterfly bushes and crepe myrtles

sunflower_fun(6)April 29, 2014

All my butterfly bushes seem to be dead. Crepe Myrtles too. Is there any hope or is it time to cut them down. We had a really cold winter.

from
Elizabethton

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

It's really too early early to tell for sure. I would think that the butterfly bushes would be at least budding out by now. Mine are well on their way. CrApe myrtles, on the other hand, are always one of the last plants to leaf out. A bark scrape (looking for green underneath the bark) might tell you something.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 11:06PM
midtn(7a TN)

Should know by now if they are coming back. Did they?

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 9:17PM
ivy2003(z5OH)

Hi,

My butterfly bushes are all dead as well due to a very harsh winter here in cleveland.

Rose bushes are dead as well. I don't see any signs of life.
Ivy2003,

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 10:00AM
phantom35(7)

My crepe myrtles have curling leaves that yellow & die. I just bought home and know nothing about bushes and plants. I do know these were beautiful when I first moved in. I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Bookmark   June 16, 2014 at 2:20PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Phantom, crApe myrtles are relatively drought tolerant, but, with the weather we've been having lately, yours may be suffering from too much heat and not enough water. The damage you describe looks pretty minor in the picture. I wouldn't worry about it unless the picture doesn't really tell the whole story.

I did notice that someone has totally massacred your crapes (crape murder). It will take many years for them to overcome the damage and look like crapes should look. Careful proper pruning may be able to help them along a little. I never have figured out why people do that!

Anyway, if you have more questions, you might want to start a new thread so as not to get off of Sunflower_fun's original topic (winter damage).

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 8:21PM
phantom35(7)

Sunflower_fun I apologize for posting inappropriately. Im new and not so computer/forum savvy as others. I originally tried to find a place to start but could not. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
thanks-brian

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 3:17PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Hey Brian, to start a new thread, go to the main page of a forum (for example the Tennessee Gardening forum). Scroll down past the list of threads (to near the bottom of the page). The section titled "Post a Message to the Forum" is where you want to type for a new message thread. Be sure to check the "Check here if you would like post replies emailed to you" box if you want notifications of replies.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
New Gardener Looking for Help :D
Hey guys, I'm just an average teenager looking to get...
GardenerLee
New to Knoxville
I'm new to Knoxville TN and new to gardening in general....
freshvegetables
NE Tennessee problems
So I moved from way out in the country to near Downtown...
chriscousineau522
Which Fruit Trees to plant?
I just purchased 3 acres and a small house. The entire...
hopin4rain
Japanese Beetle traps & Milky Spore?
I think I read a post on one of the rose forums where...
krikit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™