Support

momma_s(9b, SZ14)July 11, 2010

I have two melons that have hit puberty... When should I start giving them support? LOL...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momma_s(9b, SZ14)

Here's a pic of one...

Bookmark   July 11, 2010 at 1:15PM
anniesgranny(6b)

Nobody answered you? I see by your blog that you have already begun to support them. I grew the Charantais type melons last year, and the vines were sturdy enough that no support was needed for the fruit. The problem I had with them was telling when they were ripe. They didn't slip from the vine like the melons I was used to. I missed the optimum harvest time on nearly every one of mine, and they either split or weren't ripe enough. The ones that were perfectly ripe were awesome.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 12:41AM
momma_s(9b, SZ14)

Granny~ Yeah, I figured noone liked my crass sense of humor, and chose not to respond. hehehe

Funny, I forgot I posted this when I only thought I had 2 melons--I think about 15 minutes before I found 2 more! It's a good thing I supported them when I did, because they've almost tripled in size, also their shape has rounded out since supporting (vs oblong like in the above pic).

I read that Charentais don't slip from the vine, and it's recommended to cut a part of the vine off with the melon. I have no idea when I'll know when they're ready... Need to do reading on that again...

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening With Care

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 5:41PM
More Discussions
I'd like to try SFG like this....(see pic)
I'd like to try SFG in a 55 gallon drum like the one...
farmless_barn
Raised kidney shaped garden
I have a kidney shaped raised garden that I have planted...
charlieboring
SFG drip system
As I ponder building my boxes and irrigation I am considering...
tedeboy
Skinny yam harvest
Hi everyone, If anyone can share some wisdom about...
ashita
Mighty Matos / Mighty Veggies and SFG
Does anyone here have experience with SFG and Mighty...
tafountain
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™