Overwhelmed-need planting ideas

kellyt_greenApril 27, 2007

Hi there-I am new to Tennessee, just moved from Michigan and I am looking for some real simple yet creative and pretty planting ideas. I do not mind weeding/gardening but I want to enjoy my gardening not be consumed by it. Any ideas would be helpful and very appreciated. I am looking at Coneflowers, butterfly bushes, lavender and some type of low shrub. Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jan_Hobbs(z6a TN, USA)

Welcome to TN.

Come to the MTPS on May 19...3 weeks away...and you can get plenty of ideas...and plants...and make new gardening buddies.

For more info go to www.midtnplantswap.com there is a lot of info there, plus a place to get directions.

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

Bookmark   April 28, 2007 at 4:41PM
lisaluvsbassetts

I love my coneflowers. Butterfly bushes grow really fast and get way to big for my taste. If you like them give them plenty of room because they will take over a small area. Hosta is the easiest thing I have ever grown but they need quite a bit of shade. Everybody in TN has to have Irises and lots of them. I've learned to start with small trees and spread my garden from there. Good Luck! HAVE FUN!!!

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 11:51AM
dlhl(z6 TN)

Two of the easiest I have had experience with in my garden are hosta and autumn joy sedum. They are both really easily divided, too.

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 12:20PM
madmouser(7 TN)

Where are you in Tennessee? If you're near Knoxville, a visit to the UT Gardens will give you lots of ideas. They're a trial garden for plants.
UT-Memphis also has gardens.
http://utgardens.tennessee.edu/
A great place to get info and have fun is Bloomsday at the UT Gardens on June 23-24. Lots of helpful seminars.

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 12:41PM
More Discussions
Which Fruit Trees to plant?
I just purchased 3 acres and a small house. The entire...
hopin4rain
Thin Tall Evergreen?
Hi all, I'm a new gardener living in TN. I'm looking...
linkjg
New Gardener Looking for Help :D
Hey guys, I'm just an average teenager looking to get...
GardenerLee
Any chicken coop experts?
We have what I thought was a well-built chicken coop....
fraziertoo
groundcovers in SW Tennessee
I had lots of Lamium, creeping Thyme, mints in Illinois...
ryseryse_2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™