Please help! My tomato seedlings are dying (frost and cold issue)

NeedoJanuary 9, 2014

I am first time growing tomatoes and seedlings were very good till yesterday. Seeding age was about 35 days ( from 5th December).

I am growing seedlings in the field under a plastic tunnel. However the tunnel structure was not very good, and there were patches on it where frost and water was accumulating over it. Yesterday there was a shower/rain in evening and then at night lot of frost and it was very cold. The water got accumulated over the plastic sheet over the seedlings ( tunnel height about 18 inches from the ground). At the night the water got frozen due to the cold and frost and in morning when I visited, there was ice cubes over the plastic sheet. I removed the water and ice, and tomato seedlings were looking a bit sick and leaves started dropping.

During day time it was sunny and heat build up under plastic sheet, when i checked the seedlings at noon those were rotting and leaves started to turn brown and burnt. :(

Till evening leaves of 90% of seedlings are damaged and only stem is remaining. Any advice what to do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Even if you could rescue those seedlings, they will not develop into vigorous plants. Though I doubt that they can be rescued as you have described.

I would start anew.

Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 10:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smithmal

Agreed. Tomato plants are very fragile and even if you manage to "heal them up" the stress has caused serious development problems which probably will lead to stunted growth, low flowering and few fruits. If I were you I'd re-germinate now and keep them in your house until you can properly harden them off. If you can't keep your ambient temperatures within your hoop house at least 40F, I wouldn't bother trying to grow tomatoes with them.

smithmal

Bookmark   January 9, 2014 at 5:52PM
More Discussions
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Repotting tomato seedlings - use regular potting mix or orchid mix?
Hi All - I am going to repot some tomato seedlings...
jennieboyer
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Tomato clips
I'm thinking of using tomato clips this year. Tying...
carriehelene
Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato
Yeah - we have blossoms on our cherry tomatoes in Zone...
hudson___wy
Sponsored Products
Dark Mahogany Chase 3-Drawer Dresser
Cost Plus World Market
Cobblestone Rug 5' x 8' - PURPLE
$499.00 | Horchow
Altra 3-piece Home Office Collection
Overstock.com
Rectangle white rattan placemat (set/2)
Origin Crafts
Tokyo Chandelier
| Italy Design