Transpiration

growneatJanuary 6, 2013

I have been reading a little about transpiration and wondered exactly how it works and if growers can or do anything to enhance it and if trying to do so is worthwhile? Understanding why plants wilt and how sugar gets around in the plants seems essential but maybe not to most growers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kevinitis(5)

Transpiration occurs when the stomata (pores in the surface of the plant) open up to let in CO2 and let out oxygen. So its nessasary in order for your plant to grow. It's also what causes water and nutrients to move through the plant. So transpiration is pretty important to plant growth. I could get a little more technical and talk about ossmotic pressure and turgor pressure, which is related to water uptake and loss, but that might be more than you want. Perhaps you should google those terms. When the soil gets dry the plant is unable to take water up and then loses turgor pressure. If the turgor pressure gets too low, the stomata close to prevent water loss, which consequently causes the plant to stop photosynthesis, and stop growing. If the plant dries out more, it will begin to wilt. If wilting continues, it will eventually reach the permanent willting point which is where plants can't recover. Probably the best way to in influence transpiration is to use a mulch to cover the soil, which will allow the soil to hold moisture longer and allow the plant to transpire without harm.

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 11:46PM
Kevinitis(5)

Let me translate my previous post,
transpiration=good.
Low Soil moisture = Wilting = bad
Add compost to soil to increase water holding capacity,
and place a mulch on top of the soil to hold water in.
Problem solved.

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 10:46AM
growneat

Thanks Kevin. I have done quite a bit of Googling on the topic but find that some of the expanations give here exceed what you get by Googling. As an example nobody mentions anywhere that if the plant is dry and the stomata close that no CO2 enters the plant and so photosynthesis stops as does plant growth.

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 1:18PM
Kevinitis(5)

Yeah, CO2 entering the stomata is where the plant gets the CO2 and oxygen to perform photosyntheis and respiration. Its one of the main functions of stomata. The other reason is water movement through the plant. I learned all this in my Utah State University plant physiology course, which was taught by Dr. Keith Mott, whose research focuses on stomata. So he may have provided us with some extra understanding of stomata. :)

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
Not All Tomatoes Are Round n Red
Not All Tomatoes Are Round n Red. But when we hear...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
How many cherry tomatoes can I put in one 10 gallon pot?
Can I grow 3 or 4 plants together? It's to save me...
shijitake
Color of Tomato Plants
As anyone that follows my posts knows, I am growing...
garf_gw
Southern Belle Tomato
I am searching for history on the Southerne Belle tomato....
AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
Show Your Seedlings -2015
Lets share some pictures of our seedlings. Here is...
seysonn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™