Please help novice tomato grower

usmcdragonloverMay 31, 2009

I have several tomato plants that are exhibiting odd wilting behavior. I noticed someone else was experiencing the same problem but there was no follow up. And I thought I'd ask the experts :D

I have two romas in containers (5-10 gallon buckets). The plants themselves are only about three ft tall so they should have enough root room (right??). I noticed maybe about two days ago that they seemed wilted. So I watered thoroughly and moved them from direct sunlight. I thought that since it was rather sunny and humid the past few days, that might be the issue. However, now my cherry tomato (2 of 3 in ground) plants are doing the same. Again, lots of water and added some tomato plant food.

All the tomato plants affected do have young tomatoes (maybe about a week now) on them. I haven't noticed any bugs or slugs on them. They just seem...wilted. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. We planted 'maters last yr and yielded a lot of green leaves but no fruit. So this year, we're looking forward to getting something.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nogreenthumb_grower

I have read too much water can cause wilting too. Would put back out in sun. Tomatoes need about 6 hours of full sun per day. I am a beginner too, but have been reading alot about them. You may want to check out the website below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas A&M problem solver

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 4:05PM
More Discussions
worst tomato plants ever
Hi I have been growing tomato plants for at least twenty...
greelygarden
New Forum Sucks
Why is it when you have something great someone comes...
hoosier318
black spots on tomatoes
HI, As my wife and I are sitting hear having a cup...
dennyida
What is this
Is this septoria leaf spot, bacterial speck or early...
lubadub
Yellow spots on leaves
Hi, I have several tomato plants that I started as...
jdftwrth
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™